ISO fish stock recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I would like to make boullabaise. I've googled some recipes for fish stock, but wondered if anyone here would care to share their fish stock recipe?

So far, I think I might use these items in the stock:

fish scraps (heads, bones, tails)
water
onion
celery
bay leaf
peppercorn
parsley
lemon

well that's about it...now simmer for an hour and skim the crud off the top, and strain thru cheese cloth. If you find it a bit bland, a little salt, and perhaps a bottle of clam juice. If you have some shrimp shells (gray, uncooked) you can add them in too)

a thought...as boullabaise has orange rind, easy on the lemmon in your stock.

Miss Amber...

For each 1 lb of bones, heads etc. 1 quart of liquid.(A mixture of water and white wine) In the items you mentioned...I would omit the lemon. I would add maybe a little thyme, and maybe leeks (not so much onion as they can be strong at times.. dominating even) and a bit of sea salt..not to much. You can adjust seasonings later. Hope this helps and

Enjoy!

I like a good toss of Thyme too....

You can also a cube or two of the commercial fish stock.

Last edited:
As far as your fish scraps, just make sure of the following:

1) That they come from non-oily white fish only - no bluefish, mackerel, salmon, etc.

2) That the gills are cut out of the fish heads, & that there are no entrails in/on any of the scraps (they can produce a rather unpleasant bitter taste in the stock).

I would not add any herbs to a stock. It will possibly limit its use.
For my "fish" stock, I use shrimp shells--brown them just a bit and then simmer.
And what breezy said is REAL important!!
I also don't think long simmering is needed--half an hour.

Like Cando, I also use prawn shells as they give a more pleasant taste to the soup. If available, small rock fish would also be ideal for your stock.

Thanks for all the help! I found out that my grocery store does not have any fish parts (head, etc). I did however, find a container of ready made fish stock. Guess I'll just have to doctor it up a bit with all the ingredients I was going to use.

what I Can offer, is that when making your own, don`t cook for too long or too hot as it WILL spoil and go nasty.

it`s not much, but certainly worth remembering :)

Back
Top Bottom