ISO French Onion Soup recipe, TNT please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although it means more ingredients, I like to use equal parts of chicken and beef stock. Personally I am also a sherry fan, and I like my soup onions to be Spanish. I also like to broil the soup until the cheese caramelizes. They crocks are a pain to clean after... Having a very high onion to broth ratio is key. Don't think "Wow that's way to many onions" Cook and cook and cook them down to that deep amber color. Also don't cut them thin. You can easily reduce a large onion to the size of a golf ball, so size accordingly.

thanks very much, everyone, for some great tips and ideas.

i will have some pork bones available to me this week as i'm making a full tray of pulled pork for a cub scout picnic on friday. i wonder if i could roast the bones to make pork stock, and utilize some of the fat to help carmelize the onions? whaddya think?

or should i stick with beef and maybe some chicken stock, store bought.

Many people and restaurants use bacon (or unsmoked lardons) for the fat in which the onions are reduced. Just about any meat roasted with onions for a long time develops an amazingly savory flavor. Pork would be no exception I'm sure. Pork, onions, apples, and most cheeses go extraordinarily well together! You might try my recommended Calvados or Hard Cider with this!

Considering that this is Onion soup, the stock used should really be a secondary role to the deeply reduced and caramelized star anyways.

thanks alix, fee, and nicholas. i've reserved the bones, a jointed pair from a picnic, and a blade from the butt.

how long should i roast the bones before making the stock with mirepoix?

also, i have a nice hunk of skin from the picnic shoulder. besides chicharrones or deep fried rinds, what else can i do with a pork skin that's been effectively steamed or braised in a crock pot for 4 hours?

thanks alix, fee, and nicholas. i've reserved the bones, a jointed pair from a picnic, and a blade from the butt.

how long should i roast the bones before making the stock with mirepoix?

also, i have a nice hunk of skin from the picnic shoulder. besides chicharrones or deep fried rinds, what else can i do with a pork skin that's been effectively steamed or braised in a crock pot for 4 hours?

I usually roast bones on a bed of sliced onions and when they start getting some good color, about an hour, I scrape it all into a stock pot, being sure to get all the yummy brown off the bottom of the pan and into that pot.

Personally, I'd be skimming of the fatty part of the skin and munching the softened skin...it the main reason I own a pressure cooker and buy ham hocks...:pig:

thanks, pf.
most of the fat has been cooked away.

you chew on skin? i've seen some asian recipes for long simmered pig skin soup, but no thanks.

the only skin i'll nibble is on the nape of a woman's long neck, under her hair.

hey, where's my wingman?

without bolas, it just sounds creepy, lol.

thanks, pf.
most of the fat has been cooked away.

you chew on skin? i've seen some asian recipes for long simmered pig skin soup, but no thanks.

the only skin i'll nibble is on the nape of a woman's long neck, under her hair.

hey, where's my wingman?

without bolas, it just sounds creepy, lol.

I knew it would sound gross...but I do love it, quite tasty. I mean you deep fry it for pork rinds and eat it, when it's buttery soft, it's nice to eat, too!

Yes, I don't think I will talk about neck nibbling...:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom