ISO Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I've been teasing my grandkids almost since birth that they would be getting dirty-sock-soup for dinner, or lunch, or breakfast, whenever the opportunity was right. They respond as little children do, with over-dramatized exclamations, and wrinkled noses, all very cute, and fun, and they know I'm just teasing. I want to one day sever them a soup recipe called dirty-sock-soup, of course with wholesome and delicious ingredients, not dirty socks:ohmy:. Right now, I can't even think of how to create such a soup. Any ideas?

If so, post them on this thread. Maybe they'll get a surprise while visiting old grandpa for Thanksgiving.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like Roch's idea! Of course it would be a simple veggie and pasta soup. Maybe using baby socks, so everyone gets their own sock.

Try making your own pasta in the shape of socks!!!! Add sundried tomatoes or spinach to the pasta dough and you will really have dirty socks!! Ha!! Ha!!!

Last edited:
Oh Chief,
You must go with the sock idea, that's brilliant! A tasty 'cowboy' soup perhaps (baked beans and tomatoes base) and some ready cooked sausages secreted in the sock which can then be pulled out and the 'sock' discarded!
Just a thought

I'd go with a sopa ropa vieja or sopa de carne ripiada recipe, or perhaps egg drop soup, or a combination of them. That would give you the effect of having shredded clothing, in this case sweat socks, in the soup.

Once you come up with your explanation and a TNT recipe you could package it and sell it at a church bazaar or other fundraisers.

A pair of inexpensive socks in a cellophane bag with the printed instructions included.

I'm thinking that the stocking cookie cutter would be great for making some large garlic croutons from day old bread!

Literally "put your foot in it"! :yum:

Along with Aunt Bea's thought, I was thinking sock-shaped toasts/croutons, cut out with the sock cookie cutters or freehand, with melted cheese, floated in the soup just before serving.

Last edited:
Something with ramen, perhaps? The children could unravel old socks to make the noodles. It would be up to you to do the bait & switch of sock threads to ramen.

The sock shaped pasta is a perfect idea !

I do hope you will make this and post a picture for us all to see.

Great fun !!

If you do actually put a sock in the soup, make sure that you are only wearing one sock when they come over, and be sure to show them that, after you fish the other sock from the soup :)

If you do actually put a sock in the soup, make sure that you are only wearing one sock when they come over, and be sure to show them that, after you fish the other sock from the soup :)

I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to by some pure cotton socks.:LOL: I will do this, and the soup is going to be great.

Every idea is great. Now I just have to choose from the wonderful ideas.

Sprot called last night and said "Dad, can you make crispy french fries?" I answered in the affirmative. She then asked me about the moose meat that I have sitting in my freezer, and if we could use a little to make some poutine. I said that we could.

Her idea is to make a meal that is distinctly from the Great White North, using ingredients from the same. I think it's a great idea.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was thinking of the stone soup idea the min I started reading
Like the pasta Idea with a stocking cookie cutter shape or make a sock out of cheese cloth.
being a dirty sock soup I think I would make a beef broth to look like dirty water

I was thinking of the stone soup idea the min I started reading
Like the pasta Idea with a stocking cookie cutter shape or make a sock out of cheese cloth.
being a dirty sock soup I think I would make a beef broth to look like dirty water

Cheese cloth! That's brilliant. Thank you, thank you. Now I just have to figure out how to shape it like a sock, and maybe strain some spinach thought it to help with the color. A little fond floating around from pan drippings might be a nice touch as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It shouldn't be difficult to make a sock out of cheese cloth and then get it stained and "dirty" by rubbing it into foodstuff. Then you can have the kids put the socks in the soup. You could get one dirty with soy sauce or worchestershire sauce. Another could be dirtied with something tomato based or fresh herbs that you've sent through the blender (grass stains!). Or they could be dirtied with juiced carrots or celery or other veggies. Then the socks will infuse the soup with flavor (which you always talk about also). You could even have the kids dirty the socks in their chosen ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom