ISO TNT Chicken Noodle Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend of mine makes "her Jewish MIL's CNS." She adds lots (probably 3T) chopped fresh dill at the end. I've done that when I didn't have fresh fennel. Skipped the lemongrass and garlic, but still added the pickling spices (I put those in a tea ball--but I have used a 4x4 gauze square tied with dental floss when I couldn't find my "soup spices" tea ball).

A friend of mine makes "her Jewish MIL's CNS." She adds lots (probably 3T) chopped fresh dill at the end. I've done that when I didn't have fresh fennel. Skipped the lemongrass and garlic, but still added the pickling spices (I put those in a tea ball--but I have used a 4x4 gauze square tied with dental floss when I couldn't find my "soup spices" tea ball).

A gauze square is a good idea.

I use a coffee filter folded over spices and staple it.

I started using this method when I make herbal tea from cooking herbs from the cabinet.

I have also used rubber bands when I couldn't find the dental floss...and weaving warp cotton...and butcher's twine. The only time I've used "staples" is when the skin on the turkey tore...then I used surgical staples because I just happen to have a few "surgical staple" guns in the dog first aid kit (read that, cupboard--and I mean cupboard).

too many recipes to compete. I make mine as simple as it gets. There were no fancy spices when I was growing up or even not so fancy vegetables. All we had was parsley and dill. Salt and black pepper. Well onion and carrots of course. No time for fancy stock making either.
Get yourself 3 ponds of leg quarters. Use 8 quart pot. Boil a pot of water, put the chicken in the think in some sort of container, poor the roiling boiling water over chicken, it will reduce the need of collecting the dirty foam when chicken boils. Now put the chicken in the pot poor cold water over, enough to cover chicken maybe an inch or so over it. Bring to boil, immediately reduce to simmer, skim the dirty foam of the top. Add peeled onion, leave the bottom intact so you can pull it out and discard at the end.2-3 carrots chopped the way you like it. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Let it Cook for an hour. Separately cook noodles per packages instructions. Make sure to rinse with the cold water and drain well. About 10-15 minutes before the the end get rid off onion add preferably fresh table spoon of dill and parsley, dry will also do. Taste for salt and pepper, re-season if necessary. Put noodles into the plate, poor soup over. Serve with a piece of chicken or use chicken for something else, depending on what you like.

I find that if something taste bland, it is usually the lack of salt. I think most of the members will agree with me that if you want to really enhance the chicken flavor of the broth, get yourself a jar of "Better Than Bullion" at your grocery store. Get the one for chicken.

Are you making your soup from scratch? if so, are you using carrots, onions, celery to enhance the flavor of your broth? Are you cooking the whole chicken parts in your broth? Legs as well as the breasts? There is lot of flavor in those whole legs. Are you leaving the skin on the chicken when you simmer it? Lots of flavor under that skin. You can remove it when you debone the meat.

Start a collection of your non-eaten chicken parts and leftovers in the freezer. When roasting a chicken, break up what is leftover and place in a large freezer bag and save for stock. When cutting up a chicken for frying or BBQing, toss that back bone and little pieces of skin in that bag. Then someday when you have extra time on your hands, (I do have a sense of humor.) toss those bits and pieces of chicken into your largest pot along with well scrubbed carrot, onion and celery. A small amount of Better Than Bullion will be a great help also. Simmer and reduce. Strain the pot and save the broth. Toss the remains of the colander into your garbage. Freeze that stock and the next time you want to make Chicken Noodle Soup, use the stock and add your fresh chicken parts along with your veggies. If the stock still taste bland, go to your Better Than Bullion to adjust the flavor of your broth. Add you noodles at the very end. Allow to cook until al dente. :angel:

Maybe it's just me but I don't cook with any salt. There is some in the montreal steak spice I use some times. I use lots of meat, veg, garlic, black pepper, jalapeño or chilli pepper, rosemary, parsley, basil, etc

Peppers can spice it up the right vegis sweeten it up meat make it savoury potato squash barley noodles make it hardy. For me there's just so many flavours out there and enough salt in our diets to sink a ship so I do my best to not just fall back on salt when there's so many other solid healthy amazing flavours out there.

I don't consider it falling back on salt. You would not believe the number of seasonings, sauces, vinegars and condiments I have ;)

There shouldn't be enough salt that the food tastes salty, but salt enhances the flavors of other foods. It also reduces the perception of bitter flavors so they don't overtake the dish.

But if you prefer to cook without salt, bon appétit!

Last edited:
I guess you've never made dishes that require preserved lemons?:yum:

Back
Top Bottom