ISO TNT Vegetable soup/stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HolyCanoli

Cook
I'm loving my new Crock Pot and want to make a veggie soup/stew but I never have before. I would love someone's TNT recipe! Would prefer not to have potatoes in it (trying to stick to the New Year's resolution and eat healthier and lose weight) or peppers (yuck!). I'm not spice savvy either so any help in that department would be great too.

Vegetable soup is a southern staple. I don't have a recipe but here is what I do. I start with a combination of a large onion, 1/2 cup each of celery and carrots. Saute them in a small amount of VO until they begin to soften. Transfer to your crock pot. I add 1 qt of creamed corn, 1 qt of canned tomatoes (both from my garden), one small pack of frozen butter beans and about 2 cups of homemade chick broth (you can use canned). Let this cook for several hours on low. About and hour before you serve it add about 2 cups or a small bag of frozen okra. If you put the okra in too early it turns to mush. I like to add several hits of Texas Pete to mine. Serve with corn bread. The only spice I add is salt and pepper.

Last edited:
I don't use a recipe either, but you can't go wrong with GA's method. I also use carrots, celery, and onion, a bay leaf, and whatever other vegetables I may have in the freezer or fridge, along with some type of canned tomato product, juice, even spaghetti sauce. You can sub beef stock for chicken stock, and add browned burger or beef cubes.

A word of caution if you want to use barley, go easy on the barley, it can suck up all the juice!

Last edited:
In my opinion, it's stops being vegetable soup when you add chicken or beef broth. Then it's vegetable beef soup/chicken vegetable soup.

That said, you can add vegetable broth or make your own as part of the soup.

I thnk vegetable soup is the easiest to make. Just put whatever veggies you want in the pot. Bring to boil, season. Done. Ok, it is very, very simplified, but it really what it is.

Vegetable soup is a southern staple. I don't have a recipe but here is what I do. I start with a combination of a large onion, 1/2 cup each of celery and carrots. Saute them in a small amount of VO until they begin to soften. Transfer to your crock pot. I add 1 qt of creamed corn, 1 qt of canned tomatoes (both from my garden), one small pack of frozen butter beans and about 2 cups of homemade chick broth (you can use canned). Let this cook for several hours on low. About and hour before you serve it add about 2 cups or a small bag of frozen okra. If you put the okra in too early it turns to mush. I like to add several hits of Texas Pete to mine. Serve with corn bread. The only spice I add is salt and pepper.

Ive never put creamed corn and canned tomatoes together. Im curious how that would turn out

I'm loving my new Crock Pot and want to make a veggie soup/stew but I never have before. ... snipped ...

HC, when making your veggies soup/stew in the slow cooker, mind you don't over cook them to mush. Root veg takes longer, of course, so they go in first and so on. I agree with Dawg, I use Bay Leaves (make sure to count how many go in, that's how many need to come out before serving) and S&P, that's it. I too just throw in whatever I find in the `fridge and/or freezer... spinach, kale, fava beans, corn, even lettuce can go into a vegetable soup, towards the end though, yeah. If it's a bit wilted and not so great for a salad, chuck it in!

I would use bay leaves, parsley stems, thyme and peppercorns like I do when I make stock. Finish with the chopped parsley leaves when serving.

Last edited:
HC, when making your veggies soup/stew in the slow cooker, mind you don't over cook them to mush. Root veg takes longer, of course, so they go in first and so on. I agree with Dawg, I use Bay Leaves (make sure to count how many go in, that's how many need to come out before serving) and S&P, that's it. I too just throw in whatever I find in the `fridge and/or freezer... spinach, kale, fava beans, corn, even lettuce can go into a vegetable soup, towards the end though, yeah. If it's a bit wilted and not so great for a salad, chuck it in!

Lettuce in soup, what a great idea, K-Girl! I would never have thought of that, much of ours goes to waste.

Hi Larry - we freeze corn from our garden and it has a good bit of the "milk" from the cobb. That really give the soup some good flavor and thickens. The canned tomatoes are also from my garden. I drain them and reserve the water to add back if the soup gets too thick.

HMMMM - soup on the menu this weekend.

Lettuce in soup, what a great idea, K-Girl! I would never have thought of that, much of ours goes to waste.

;)

I think the only veg that I haven't put into a soup/stew is Cucumbers, but then isn't there a recipe some where for specifically Cucumber soup?
:quick search: YUP!
Thai Cucumber Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com
We need to try this! Nom nom nom :yum:

You were all so helpful! I picked up some carrots, sweet potatoes, frozen corn, frozen green beans, a can of butter beans, veggie stock ( I agree Andy :)), a vidalia onion and some canned diced tomatoes. I can't wait to put it all together this weekend...thanks everyone!

...I too just throw in whatever I find in the `fridge and/or freezer...even lettuce can go into a vegetable soup, towards the end though, yeah. If it's a bit wilted and not so great for a salad, chuck it in!

A couple years back I had a glut of romaine that needed using up. Except that it was way too cold to make salad. (Why did I buy that romaine again???) Anyway, came upon a recipe that specifically called for romaine, although I've also made it with tired Swiss chard or spinach. Himself loves it, too, and we can eat up an entire pot just between the two of us.

Chickpea and Romaine Soup with Golden Vermicelli

With the turmeric, paprika, and cayenne, this is a perfect soup to warm up with on a cold winter night. :yum:

Came out ok...not quite the flavor I wanted to end up with but it doesn't surprise me...I'm terrible with what to use for spices!!

A large can of stewed tomatoes drained, one container of fresh mushrooms, 1/2 lb of carrots, a small bag of frozen corn, 2 medium sweet potatoes, 1/2 of a vidalia onion, a large box of veggie stock, a cup of red wine and filled the rest of my 7 quart crock pot with water. salt and pepper and too much garlic powder :)

Back
Top Bottom