ISO: Tortilla Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Ok, I can hear the groaning now.... STOP! I am not looking for any Tortilla soup recipe!

I was attending a conference at the Adams Mark hotel and at one of their dinning spots, they offered a tortilla soup that was thick and smooth other than the chunks of avacado, tortilla strips, chicken, and cheese on top. It had the consistency of a really good tomato soup. It was soooooo sooooo good and I have been looking for a recipe that would come close.

Most recipes that I find are of the brothy nature, which may be how traditional tortilla soup is done.

I tried a recipe yesterday that was pretty good, it was my first time ever making the soup and it turned out pretty decent. (I will be tweaking it to suit my own tastes of course!)

So if anyone out there can help me out, I would be much obliged!!

My husband is always ordering the "tortilla soup" on menus far and wide--and all the recipes are just that--far and wide. The last one was basically a diluted salsa heated up!!
Yours sounds good. I may have a recipe for a roasted tomato soup that would morph into that.
Hmmmmmm. and I even have some leftover smoked chicken.

I'm not a big fan of the brothy type tortilla soups - this one I tried a few months ago and everyone loved it. So far, this is the best I've tried.

TURKEY TORTILLA SOUP
Recipe By :Cuisine at Home, Dec. '05

2 Tbsps olive oil
1 1/2 c onions, chopped
2 Tbsps garlic, minced
3 corn tortillas (6" each), cut in 1' pcs
1 10 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes w/green chilies
4 c chicken broth
1 tsp each: grd. cumin, grd. coriander, dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 c cooked chicken or turkey, shredded
1 1/2 c frozen corn kernels
1/2 c heavy cream
1 c Monterey jack cheese, shredded
2 Tbsps fresh lime juice
Salt & pepper
BLACK BEAN SALSA
sour cream
Heat oil in large saucepan over med-high heat; add onions & garlic, and saute 3 min.
Stir in tortilla pcs & saute till they are no longer crisp.
Add tomatoes, broth, & spices, & bring to a boil.
Remove from heat; let cool 5 min, then puree soup base in batches in a blender or food processor till smooth.
Return soup to pot.
Add turkey/chix, corn, & cream.
Bring to a boil & simmer 5 min., or till beginning to thicken.
Reduce heat to med., sprinkle in cheese, and stir till melted.
Add lime juice & season with salt & pepper to taste.
Serve w/salsa and sour cream.
Yield:
"8 c"

BLACK BEAN SALSA
Recipe By :Cuisine at Home, Dec. '05

1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 c tomatoes, seeded, diced
1/2 c red onion, slivered
1/4 c minced fresh cilantro
2 Tbsps jalapeno, seeded, minced
2 Tbsps fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, tossing well to coat.
Chill salsa till ready to serve.

Yield:
"3 c"

Gretchen said:
My husband is always ordering the "tortilla soup" on menus far and wide--and all the recipes are just that--far and wide. The last one was basically a diluted salsa heated up!!
Yours sounds good. I may have a recipe for a roasted tomato soup that would morph into that.
Hmmmmmm. and I even have some leftover smoked chicken.

Gretchen, the one I tried I found on food network I believe. It used fresh pureed tomatos and onions (which I like vs large chunks of stuff). It was pretty smooth but not as think as I would have liked for it to be. Would it be possible to thicken with masa flour or some other ingredient? I would like to be able to thicken it without losing the depth of the flavor. The only other problem was that I should have drained the grease off of it in the step where you soften the tortillas and garlic in the corn oil. Yuck!

You know, your idea to use a tomato soup base may be a good start. Now you got the ol' wheels turning now!!

I usually don't try that many because I know most are of the brothy nature.

CJS.. the rec. you posted sounds wonderful and would like to give it a try. I have never been a big turkey fan (maybe because I have never had it done right), but would be willing to give it a go. Perhaps I could use chicken instead of turkey? Thank you for posting the recipe!

Last edited:
Sattie, I know there was a thread dealing with chicken enchilada soup a little while ago. I also know that AllenMI has posted a couple of killer tortilla or enchilada soup recipes. You could try a search for those. Good luck!

I make a smooth tortilla soup that I absolutely love. Before adding the chicken I puree the whole thing in a blender then add a little heavy cream and blend for a few seconds more to mix. Add the chopped or shredded chicken, then top with strips of crisp torilla chips and of course, FRESH cilantro. :chef:

Drama Queen said:
I make a smooth tortilla soup that I absolutely love. Before adding the chicken I puree the whole thing in a blender then add a little heavy cream and blend for a few seconds more to mix. Add the chopped or shredded chicken, then top with strips of crisp torilla chips and of course, FRESH cilantro. :chef:

Please, can I have the recipe????

Back
Top Bottom