Katie's Favorite Oxtail Soup - TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
With the thread today about warm weather foods, especially soup, here's our favorite oxtail soup recipe. It is amazing. There are so many flavor levels and it's amazingly rich. Enjoy!

KATIE’S FAVORITE OXTAIL SOUP
(Serves 4)​
2 lbs. oxtails, cut into 1½-in. pieces
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained, or equivalent quantity of home-canned tomatoes, with liquid
1 (10½-oz.) can condensed beef broth or equivalent quantity of homemade broth
½ cup water
½ cup dry red wine
1 tsp. granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme, bruised
1 bay leaf
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienned strips
4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into julienned strips
½ cup frozen peas

Trim visible fat from oxtails and dust with flour. In a soup pot or Dutch oven, brown oxtails in hot oil. Add onion, tomatoes with juice, beef broth, water, wine, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is just tender. Skim off excess fat. Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add peas; cook about 5 minutes or until peas are heated through. Serve immediately. Note: Don't be tempted to leave the parsnips out. They add an important flavor "note" to the soup. Even people who don't like parsnips, like this soup.

I love Oxtail soup as above with barley. Heaven!

Heaven in a bowl for sure. My mother used to make it quite often.

Dawg, I haven't had oxtails in a while, but going from memory I'd say they are like chuck roast that's been slow cooked. They have a grain that lets them shred, slightly fatty, very tender... delicious.

pacanis said:
Heaven in a bowl for sure. My mother used to make it quite often.

Dawg, I haven't had oxtails in a while, but going from memory I'd say they are like chuck roast that's been slow cooked. They have a grain that lets them shred, slightly fatty, very tender... delicious.

Hmm. Love the description, Pac. I would bet they would sort of melt into the soup.

Am with you on the barley, Princess!

We are fortunate to have a mom-and-pop butcher shop that kills their own beef and they have the most amazing oxtails. They're huge and meaty and way less in price than any of the chain stores, when you can find them there.

Yes, they are sooooo tender and tasty. Oh, crap, I want some NOW! Guess I'll have to wait until the weather cools down. It's still in the 80s here. Boo hiss!

The oxtails I see today, when I'm fortunate enough to see them, are huge compared to the ones mom used. The oxtail soup I used to eat the bones were no bigger than your finger. I wonder if that has an effect on cooking times and all that.

Are they expensive? I can't recall ever seeing them around here, not that I ever looked for them. Maybe they've gone the way of wings or other formerly cheap cuts?

Katie H said:
The last time I bought them at our butcher, they were about $1.99 or so per pound.

A hunting I will go, a hunting I will go....

Okay, anything with a tail, watch out! Except for possum. And rat. And ground squirrel. Not much meat.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I'm surprised I remember the whole song...I did just affirm Shrek's belief that I have completely lost my marbles.:LOL:

Didn't Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd do something like that? Don't remember the fox.

Senility Now! (or was that serenity now? I don't remember....)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom