Lentil Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
8 cups water
2 cups lentils
1 medium onion chopped fine
8 cloves of garlic ( more or less is fine)
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Rince lentils.
Add all ingredients ( except salt)
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 60-90 minutes or until lentils are soft. Then add salt.

You can add ham or sausage if you wish and amounts are really all up to you. I always have extra garlic and onions in mine.

Add one tsp of vinager to each bowl at serving time.

One of my current favorites is Lamb and Red Lentil Stew.

I use lamb shanks or bone-in lamb stew meat, a package of red lentils and one bunch of chopped Swiss chard, which is a FANTASTIC addition. Before work, I toss it all in a crockpot with chopped onion, garlic, salt and pepper and 2 quarts water. Set on low. Wa-la! When I walk in the door after work, dinner is ready!

Crockpots are beautiful things.

Lee

thanks pdswife1 (why the #1? is there something we should know?), and qsis. both of these look good. i bought some different colored lentils, but never made them in a dish before.

This is a yummy one, and the 'method' is a little different!

ITALIAN LENTIL SOUP

1 cup lentils
8 cups water
1tsp. salt
1 clove garlic
2 sage leaves
6 sprigs parsley
1 small onion
1 rib celery
3 anchovy fillets
3T olive oil
1/3cup white wine
1 cup peeled tomatoes

Put lentils in pot with water, and salt; bring to boil and lower heat to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, til tender but not overdone. Drain and reserve cooking water.
Mince together garlic, sage, parsley, onion, celery and anchovies.
In a soup pot, saute the seasonings in olive oil til lightly golden. Add wine and stir til almost evaporated. Add tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add lentils to the pot and enough of the reserved water to reach desired consistency. Season to taste with salt/pepper.

Hi Buckytom,

Pdswife1... well, I had to add the one because when I registard for this site as Pdswife I never got the welcoming email that completed the sign up. So I tried again with Pdswife1 and it worked out fine.

I am the second and LAST wife maybe, I should have used Pdswife2. LOL!!

lol, oh ok pdswife1. i thought maybe he was a really lucky guy, or like harcort fenton mudd (harry mudd of star trek fame... i know, it's a really remote reference, but trekkies will get it...)

Mudd

LOL. Naw.. he's not that lucky! heheheh One of me is all the poor guy could ever handle any way!

Back
Top Bottom