Made soup - now snow storm - can I freeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I made my oh so good I love it so much - Kale and Sausage Soup. It's made with real tomatoes, half can of diced tomatoes, chicken broth, italian chicken sausage, onions, garlic, and spices.

it's suppose to be for a dinner birthday party for tomorrow. I'm serving this soup and anniversary chicken - it's what the birthday girl ordered.

snow storm going on and it's pretty much being cancelled until next wednesday.

i'm reallllly hoping it's ok that i freeze this soup.

I made my oh so good I love it so much - Kale and Sausage Soup. It's made with real tomatoes, half can of diced tomatoes, chicken broth, italian chicken sausage, onions, garlic, and spices.

it's suppose to be for a dinner birthday party for tomorrow. I'm serving this soup and anniversary chicken - it's what the birthday girl ordered.

snow storm going on and it's pretty much being cancelled until next wednesday.

i'm reallllly hoping it's ok that i freeze this soup.

What are unreal tomatoes?

Wait, don't freeze it... not if it's got "real" tomatoes.
I can be there in 14 hours to pick it up so it doesn't go to waste :LOL:

ha ha. fresh vs. canned. although one time I made the same recipe using canned tomatoes and canned chicken broth INSTEAD of fresh tomatoes and my homemade chicken broth made from a carcass of a chicken and guess what. My husband raved about the one made with cans!!!. I was like grumble grumble grumble.

ha ha. fresh vs. canned. although one time I made the same recipe using canned tomatoes and canned chicken broth INSTEAD of fresh tomatoes and my homemade chicken broth made from a carcass of a chicken and guess what. My husband raved about the one made with cans!!!. I was like grumble grumble grumble.

It was probably all the extra salt in the canned goods that he was tasting!;)

As others have said, it will be fine frozen legend. Glad you don't have potatoes in it.......others would argue, but I say potatoes frozen in soup or stew get really funky frozen and thawed.

I freeze almost every kind of soup, certainly would this one. The only ones I hesitate to freeze are soups containing Cream, which can break when frozen. Many soups are improved with age, and there's nothing better than having a hot bowl of soup at your fingertips.

This isn't one that is going to be difficult, but thick soups (split pea, some thick bean soups), I recommend nuking rather than heating in a pot on the stove.

Make sure you get it to freeze as fast as possible, like in a plastic baggie, as flat as possible. If it is colder outside than in your freezer, put the bags outside. The reason freezing things changes the texture and reduces quality is because of the ice crystals the liquid forms. The faster you freeze something, the smaller the ice crystals, the less damage, hence "flash freezing".

Make sure you get it to freeze as fast as possible, like in a plastic baggie, as flat as possible. If it is colder outside than in your freezer, put the bags outside. The reason freezing things changes the texture and reduces quality is because of the ice crystals the liquid forms. The faster you freeze something, the smaller the ice crystals, the less damage, hence "flash freezing".

That's true, Skittle. And for heaven sake......we don't want to wake up to yet another thread titled...... " forgot the soup overnight.......do I have to throw it away"?
:ROFLMAO:

How about a:
Found frozen soup in the freezer dated five years ago. It is still OK?

How about a:
Found frozen soup in the freezer dated five years ago. It is still OK?

Now that would be an interesting experiment! Freezer burn would have reduced it to soup flavored ice crystals. Just add water, heat and serve.

Now that would be an interesting experiment! Freezer burn would have reduced it to soup flavored ice crystals. Just add water, heat and serve.

That would be the only way to find out if it was any good, anyway:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom