Making soup from scratch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooh..... you should have said, don't ask me how I know that.
;)

LOL! I SHOULD have used my brain in the first place and not been in such an all fired hurry to make that stupid bisque. Meh, sometimes the stupidest mistakes are the best learning tools.

Well I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to give my food processor its maiden voyage. I read somewhere to hit pulse a few times, then turn it to run, so I did, even though there were only three big chunks of carrots that didn't look chopped enough. They were chopped when I was finished with them, and everything else was pulped :ohmy:

I have used my pressure cooker forever to cook the meat for my soups. I throw in the meat,onion,celery, salt and pepper. Cook according to PC directions for the meat. Then remove meat when done, shred or tear apart, then add back and add vegetables,pasta,beans, whatever else and cook till done. My PC is a 6qt which makes a nice size, heavy soup pot. I have also made soups the regular, slow method. PC just makes things quicker, I see no difference in the flavor. I happen to think that PC brings out lots of flavor as well as tenderizing the meat. I could live on soup year round. You've gotten lots of great tips here so I won't add any more, just try the PC, I love mine. Wouldn't cook without it. Rosemary

LOL! I SHOULD have used my brain in the first place and not been in such an all fired hurry to make that stupid bisque. Meh, sometimes the stupidest mistakes are the best learning tools.

Alix, aren't bisques technically meant to be smooth soups with all the "goodies" incorporated but not noticeable? I don't think bisques are chunky. So in that case, you didn't goof. You got all the flavor, didn't you? :chef:

Alix, aren't bisques technically meant to be smooth soups with all the "goodies" incorporated but not noticeable? I don't think bisques are chunky. So in that case, you didn't goof. You got all the flavor, didn't you? :chef:

Yep, but this was a shrimp bisque that was supposed to have some shrimp "bits" in it. They were itty bitty bits by the time I got through with them! LOL. And it is still one of my favorite recipes. Fast, easy and very flavorful.

Reading about your bones and carcasses. Everyone has different methods and tastes and likes different flavours for their soups. For me, chicken soup doesn't taste right if it is made from a raw chicken. Something is just missing. I save up several carcasses and simmer slowly. I've found that two regularly roasted carcasses and one BBQ'ed carcass make the best combo for me. I also like a nice garlic flavour but my family really detests the bits of garlic so my compromise is to score several cloves and pierce them with a toothpick so they are easy to find and remove.

Keep messing around with the flavours you like in your soups. When you find one that really works for you stick with it.

I hear you about the roasted/smoked combo of chicken carcasses. I make a really good Chicken Tortilla Soup. I've also made that soup with straight smoked chicken. It's good, but a little strong. Using a mix of roasted/smoked chicken for the soup is AWESOME!

I've also made a killer Posole with smoke pork. HHMMMMM..... I have a small supply of Anahaim peppers. Maybe I should smoke those, as well as some pork, and make a batch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom