Minestrone with Orzo TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
The weather has been so off and on lately and I hate being cold. I decided lunch today would be this minestrone. It was great and I thionk a small cup will go nicely with the pasta and shrimp we are having for dinner.Saute 6 slices diced pancetta, Then saute in 2 tab. of evoo with 2 thin sliced onionsand 2 cloves minced garlic saute this til pancetta is crisp, If you want you can use blanched bacon.Add 1 cup peeled and seeded and chopped tomatoes and 1 cup fresh chopped parsley simmer for 10 min. Pour in 6-7 cups of chicken stock add 3/4 cup orzo and 2 stalks of fresh chopped celery,Cook til your pasta is tender about 10 min. Season with salt and pepper. Now cut 6 artichoke hearts you can use frozen or canned packed in water cut into thin wedges Just before serving stir in the artichokes and 1 cup of Parmesan cheese. Serve piping hot
8 servings
kadesma:)

Yum, I have printed that one as a PDF.

I always hated minestrone. For the life of me, I couldn't understand why. It sounds like it should be good. Then one day at a buffet I gave it another try. Oh! That was delicious. DH had the same reaction. We eventually figured out that we had developed our dislike for minestrone as kids from Campbell's minestrone. I have since found that there is a definite yucky flavour in canned minestrone along with the other flavours, not just in Campbell's.

Since minestrone freezes well, we like to make it in mid to late summer when many of the ingredients are available in their fresh form. The fresh stuff includes zucchini, string beans, cabbage, escarole, plum tomatoes, a few pods of okra (for thickening), diced potatoes. In addition we add red kidney, and cannellini beans and some celery and dried oregano.. We sometimes cheat by using Minor's chicken base if we do not have a homemade meat broth. When reheating the soup we find adding a few tablespoons of basil pesto and some freshly cooked tubettini. End result- tastes good, is nutritious, is filling, agrees with the stomach, and helps make the 'plumbing' work well; even better than pasta fasul!
Buon appetito

Yum, I have printed that one as a PDF.

I always hated minestrone. For the life of me, I couldn't understand why. It sounds like it should be good. Then one day at a buffet I gave it another try. Oh! That was delicious. DH had the same reaction. We eventually figured out that we had developed our dislike for minestrone as kids from Campbell's minestrone. I have since found that there is a definite yucky flavour in canned minestrone along with the other flavours, not just in Campbell's.
I have used some canned soups when I first started cooking and my kids were fussy as could be. but I never liked them much. I too know why that taste of can. It makes me feel like a goat:LOL:
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom