"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think I deserve a pot of ham and bean soup...Shrek is not a fan.
Give him a can of Campbell's Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. He will be so happy. Memories of his mother making lunch for him.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:55 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I've lazied up this recipe over the years. My changes:

No roux. To make the soup a little thicker, I mash some of the beans against the side of the pot during the last half-hour of cooking.

Once you fry the bacon and remove for adding back later, I use the bacon fat to saute the chopped onion and carrots. I found that too much bacon fat (yes, that can happen) and raw onions were giving me indigestion. I think the end result tastes nicer, too.

I forgot the potatoes this last time. Didn't miss them. Well, that's one less thing to chop next time!

I also didn't have a leftover ham bone this time. I bought ham ends from my local butcher - about $1 a pound! No bone to cut around=faster time and more ham. LOTS more ham.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've lazied up this recipe over the years. My changes:

No roux. To make the soup a little thicker, I mash some of the beans against the side of the pot during the last half-hour of cooking.

Once you fry the bacon and remove for adding back later, I use the bacon fat to saute the chopped onion and carrots. I found that too much bacon fat (yes, that can happen) and raw onions were giving me indigestion. I think the end result tastes nicer, too.

I forgot the potatoes this last time. Didn't miss them. Well, that's one less thing to chop next time!

I also didn't have a leftover ham bone this time. I bought ham ends from my local butcher - about $1 a pound! No bone to cut around=faster time and more ham. LOTS more ham.
When I am making pea soup, I will buy smoked ham hocks. A lot cheaper than buying a whole ham, and I find that they have a more intense smoky flavor. A ham is just too much meat for both Pirate and myself. On the rare occasions I do buy a small ham, I cut off all the meat after the first meal, divide the cutoffs into small packets for future use for sandwiches or even breakfast.

Tags
None