Most Luxurious Cream of Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made this soup tonight and have never had a better cream of mushroom soup, and it was so easy. I have to stay away from milk, but can have cream, and so I did a little experiment. Here's what I used, and a description of how it turned out.

ingredients:
3/4 cup sliced Portabella Mushrooms
3/4 tsp. truffle salt
1 3/4 cup heavy cream
4 tbs. unsalted butter
4 tbs. AP flour

Melt butter in a suitable sauce pan. Add mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms start to softem, and take on that wonderful cooked mushroom flavor. Add the flour and stir to coat. Let cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cream to make a thick sauce. Thing with water to desired soup consistency. Stir in the truffle salt. Cover and let simmer for 2 more minutes.

I had cooked up a box of macarony and cheese, without the cheese. I took half of the noodles and combined them with a homemade cheese sauce that came out so very good, along with a half pound of cooked ground beef. I gave that to DW as she didn't want mushrooms.

Before thinning my mushroom soup, I took half of it and combined it with the remaining noodles and cooked ground beef for my supper. I added another half cup of uncooked mushrooms to the remaining soup and simmered over low heat for ten minutes, covered. I then thined the soup with a little water.

I tested the soup and it is creamier than any soup I've ever had, with a rich potabella mushroom flavor, with white truffle accents, and just the right amount of salt. The soup now sits in the fridge. I'll have it for lunch tomorrow. Pure mushroom heaven in a bowl.;):yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't be disappointed. The truffle salt adds just enough Truffle flavor to enhance the already great portabella flavor, without overpowering it. The salt component provide the required salinity to season the soup. If only I could get my hands on some wild shaggy meins, or King Bolete mushrooms. That would take the soup to the next higher level.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I took my leftover soup this morning and put it into the blender with 6 or so thick slices of raw mushrooms and blended it all up. I added two more tbs. of flour before blending as I found that when reheated, the soup was runny. I put it all back into the pot and onto the stove. I brought it to a low simmer and let it cook for 1 minute. I tasted it and the raw mushroom flavor still came through and really elevated the soup. It was thick enough to be a sauce, or gravy and I spooned it over a basted, fried egg, with runny yolk, and a pork chop. I didn't know that mushrooms and pork were such an amazing flavor combination.l I already knew about eggs and mushrooms. All in all, it was a gourmet breakfast that took very little fuss.

Try blending raw mushrooms into your soup, and light cooking to add just another dimension of rich flavor.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom