My easy clam chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Thanks to all your help and taking into consideration what I had in my pantry, this is what I came up with, and it was really good.

Connie’s Easy Clam Chowder

2 6.5 cans minced clams, drained, juice reserved
1 10 oz can whole baby clams, drained, juice reserved
1/3 cup minced onion
5 strips thick-sliced bacon, chopped
about 2 ½ cups whole milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 14 oz can whole new potatoes, drained and cut into ¾ inch cubes

Add enough milk to reserved clam juice to make 4 cups and set aside.
In medium-size soup pot, render chopped bacon on medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
Pour off all but about 3 tablespoons bacon fat, and add diced onions. Continue to cook over medium heat until onions are soft.
Stir in flour, and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes. Add the clam juice/milk mixture a little at a time, stirring well to work out any lumps.
Increase heat to med/high and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid thickens to the consistency of heavy cream. Whisk in soups.
Add potatoes and let cook, stirring, until warmed through and starting to bubble around the sides. Do not allow to boil!
Add clams and bacon, and again, cook, stirring till hot.
Remove from heat immediately to keep clams from getting tough.

Good job, Connie. A nice variation on my recipe. I'd still have to add some thyme. That's what "makes" the flavor to us in clam chowder. Buck and I will have to try it when the weather is cool...again. It'll be a while here, as you know.

Well, shucks, I forgot the thyme, Katie. I was hurting pretty badly by the time I got it done. Next time, I'll do that!

We really do get by with a little help from our friend.

PS...it's always cool in our house.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom