Mystery Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Anyone else besides me make them? I always call my stocks "Mystery" stocks, because I never seem to use the same ingredients or amounts every time I make them.

Right now the house is filling with the aroma of today's "mystery stock", which has been simmering for a couple of hours now. Today's ingredients are: several pounds of saved chicken backs & wing tips from the freezer, a fresh chicken back & rib bones/meat (from the chicken I dissected this afternoon that's currently marinating for tonight's outdoor chicken grill dinner); several stalks of celery, halved; a couple of large carrots, cut into 3" chunks; a bag of saved thick mushroom stems from some stuffer-size white mushrooms I used recently; a 3" chunk of fresh ginger, unpeeled, cut into chunks; a large onion, quartered, unpeeled; one halved shallot, unpeeled; about a dozen unpeeled, lightly crushed cloves of garlic; a small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, stems & all, cut into thirds; a sprig of fresh rosemary; several sprigs of fresh marjoram; a tablespoon or so of black peppercorns; & half a dozen whole dried hot red peppers.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out!!!:chef:

It sounds as if you're going to have a wonderful pot of stock Breezy..I need to get busy and do some myself..You've given me the urge to get going:)

kadesma

Yes! I am not alone! I love to mix up mystery stock myself and then freeze them in plastic containers for future use. I usually by beef, pork, and chicken bones for my stock. I combine the chicken and pork together ( I don't know why but it taste better to me) when I make chicken stock. I usually keep the beef stock by itself since beef is really hearty.

Rats! I'm making bean soup and used water instead of the stock I thawed last night. I guess I began the fixings before I really woke up. :stuart:

Sorry, I went off topic with my musings.

I forget the name of it but there is a traditional japanesse stock that is a mix of beef, chicken, and pork stock.

I always do a "gotta go" stock, which consists of whatever ends I have amassed and some mirepoix, and whatever else I feel like doing.

Back
Top Bottom