Need Cream of Mushroom Soup advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alx26

Cook
Hey guys well as I might have mentioned before I am only learning to cook, So I am sorry if this question is very simple or.....

First of all, what is in your opinion the best way of making Cream of mushroom soup? I know the basic outline:
Saute onions and mushrooms in butter, add some flour. then add chicken stock and cream.

But could you tell me how you like to make it, and what else you add. Do you pure the mushrooms and onions in a blender?

Also could you maybe post some more simple soup recipes here for me. By quite simple soups here. Like leak soups and that.
Thanks.

Al, you could puree part of the soup, then put it back in with the chunkier stuff.

Here is my Leek and potato soup. It's easy, once you get the potatoes peeled.

Leek and potato soup

Ingredients:
6 thick slices of bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 leeks, white part only, sliced thin
6 cloves garlic, minced
approx. 1/4 cup flour
2 cans chicken broth
2 cups skim milk (or whatever kind you have on hand)
2 cups water if needed
6-8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped in bite-size pieces
2 tbl salt
white pepper to taste
2 tbl chopped Italian parsley
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, cubed (opt)

Directions:
Sweat chopped bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat. When it's beginning to crisp, add onions and cook a few minutes. Then add leeks and garlic, and continue to cook until vegies are tender. Add flour and turn heat up to med/high. Cook and stir a few minutes , then stir in the chicken broth. Continue stirring until sauce begins to thicken, then add milk, potatoes, Italian parsley, salt and pepper. Add water or more milk, if needed, to cover potatoes. Simmer on med/low heat until potatoes are tender, reseason, then add cream cheese and stir till melted.

*Note* I make clam chowder the same way, using the juice drained from the canned clams for part of the chicken broth. We don't get fresh clams here in the sticks.

Here's one I've been meaning to try:

CAJUN CORN SOUP

1 cup Chopped onion
1 cup Chopped green pepper
6 Green onions, sliced
1/2 cup Cooking oil
1/2 cup All-purpose flour
3 cups Water
1 can Cajun-style stewed tomatoes-14 1/2 ounces
2 cups Chopped peeled tomatoes
1 cans Tomato paste (6-oz.)
2 pks Frozen whole kernal corn-(16 oz. each)
3 cups Cubed cooked ham
1 1/2 lb Fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced
1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper or to taste
Salt to taste
Hot pepper sauce to taste

In a large kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, green pepper and green onions
in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook until bubbly. Add
water, stewed tomatoes and chopped tomatoes and tomato paste; mix well.
Stir in the corn, ham, sausage, cayenne pepper, salt and hot pepper sauce.
Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 1
hour, stirring occasionally.

Last edited:
I make a Cream of Mushroom soup sometimes that I really like. Not sure of the exact measurements I dont know them ( I just add to taste)

I use Crimini Mushrooms ( But buttons work too). Slice them up and sautee in butter and olive oil, with Shallots, and Onions. Also a few cloves of minced fresh garlic. Add salt, pepper, cayanne pepper ( Just a little, to bring a little bit of flavor to the background of the dish) and some Fennel seeds ( about 1/4 tspn. Sautee this and then add chicken stock, and Heavy cream. Puree with a blender, and strain into a bowl. Then I sautee some Shallots and butter, and some Finely diced ( Like Brunoise, 1/16th- 1/8th inch cubes) then add flour to make the roux. Add chicken stock, then the strained mixture, and then add heavy cream to taste/thickness. Salt, pepper, a dash of White Wine vinager gives it a nice zing ( This really makes a difference).

Its very good, probably one of my favorite soups. Next time I make it I will measure everything out.

Also, another favorite of mine is Pumpkin soup, I DID write this recipe down-

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f13/savory-pumkin-soup-16170.html

Hope this helps,

Josh

Sour Cream Mushroom Soup

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Large Onion - chopped
1/2 tsp Tarragon - dry
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 lb Portobello Mushrooms, cut up
1/2 C Dry Marsala Wine
1/2 C Flour
4 C Beef Broth
1 C Sour Cream
1 C Milk
TT S&P
Pinch Cayenne (optional)

In a 4 quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until the onions begin to brown.

Add the tarragon and the nutmeg and cook for 1 minute more.

Stir in the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to brown.

Add the wine and cook until the mushrooms give up their moisture and the wine has evaporated.

Whisk the flour and beef broth together and add to the mushroom mixture, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Reduce the heat.

Combine sour cream and milk. Whisk the mixture into the soup.

Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.

Gently heat, stirring, until the soup is hot but not boiling.

Garnish with chives and tarragon before serving.

Makes about 7 cups.

Constance said:
Here is my Leek and potato soup. It's easy, once you get the potatoes peeled.

Leek and potato soup

Ingredients:
6 thick slices of bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 leeks, white part only, sliced thin
6 cloves garlic, minced
approx. 1/4 cup flour
2 cans chicken broth
2 cups skim milk (or whatever kind you have on hand)
2 cups water if needed
6-8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped in bite-size pieces
2 tbl salt
white pepper to taste
2 tbl chopped Italian parsley
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, cubed (opt)

Directions:
Sweat chopped bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat. When it's beginning to crisp, add onions and cook a few minutes. Then add leeks and garlic, and continue to cook until vegies are tender. Add flour and turn heat up to med/high. Cook and stir a few minutes , then stir in the chicken broth. Continue stirring until sauce begins to thicken, then add milk, potatoes, Italian parsley, salt and pepper. Add water or more milk, if needed, to cover potatoes. Simmer on med/low heat until potatoes are tender, reseason, then add cream cheese and stir till melted.

*Note* I make clam chowder the same way, using the juice drained from the canned clams for part of the chicken broth. We don't get fresh clams here in the sticks.

Looks fabulous, Constance... would make a lovely company dish/starter. Appreciate your sharing the recipe. Thank you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom