Need Help Thickening Soup with Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuna305

Assistant Cook
Hi all,
I have been making a cream of chicken soup and have noticed a bit of un-cooked flour taste. I saute green onions and shreded carrots in butter till tender then ad my flour before adding milk and chicken stock and bring this to a slow boil for about 5 minutes. The flour taste is very subtle but there. What can I do to eleminate the flour taste?:ermm:
Thanks,
tuna305

Try cooking the flour a bit longer before adding any other liquids. You don't want to get it too brown, because that would change the taste as well. But just make sure you give it a good couple of minutes to meld with the butter and vegetables before you add the milk and chicken stock.

:heart:
Z

If you notice a bit of "uncooked flour taste" then you have uncooked flour.

And, Zereh is right on track! After you saute you veges - add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring very frequently, before you add liquid. You don't want the temp very high - you don't want to brown the flour. Lower the heat before you add the flour to Med or Med-Low - or just move the pan off and on the burner (30-secs on - 30-secs off) while you stir.

When you add your liquid - add it slowly and whisk like crazy to prevent lumps. Then bring the temp up to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.

You can adding a little cornstarch mix with a little water. I have also added a little instant mash potato (right from the box not prepared) to some soups and stews.

Bread crumbs or ground almonds are two popular European ways to thicken soup. Though they do alter the texture of your dish, they don't run the risk of imparting a "raw" sort of floury taste.

Back
Top Bottom