Not from Scratch Corn Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This isn't from scratch, but is tasty indeed. It falls somewhere between a soup , a chowder, and a pudding. You can figure out what to call it, after you've tasted it. And it is well worth tasting. So here's what happened. Supper tonight was going to be a no hassle, but tasty dinner consisting of canned corn, a good and crispy-sweet brand, a burger topped with Muenster cheese, and sliced avocado. I accidentally grabbed, and opened a can of cream corn from the pantry. DW detests creamed corn. So I grabbed the correct can of corn and made supper. Afterwards, I had to do something with the cream corn. So I took the left over whole kernal corn, about a quarter cup, and added it to the creamed corn with half a stick of butter, or again, a quarter cup. I also added 4 tbs. a.p. flour and whisked it in until smooth. I then added freshly ground black pepper, and a quarter tsp. stevia sweetener. I put the pot over a low flame and heated until it lightly boiled, and the flour thickened and cooked. I tasted it and it was good. But I didn't quite want corn pudding, which is what this turned into. So, I cut a 3 inch chunk of summer sausage and diced it. I added it to the pot. I then sweated half of a small, red onion, again diced, and about 3 heaping tbs. of freshly diced green bell pepper. When slightly softened, and the onion was sweet, I add that to the pot. I tasted it, and it was a winner. I have a great tasting lunch for the next few days.

This would be so good served over a toasted English muffin, or just plain buttered toast.

To make this easier, Here's the ingredient list:
12 oz, creamed corn
6 oz whole kernel corn
1/4 cup whole milk
4 tbs. AP flour
1/2 tsp. sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbs. salted butter
1/8 cup diced summer sausage
1/8 cup diced onion
1/8 cup diced green bell pepper
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tbs. butter for sweating the veggies.

Enjoy this quick and simple chowder. It'll make you smile, and just might become one of your "go to" comfort meals.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom