Omitting corn from this chowder...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The recipe sounds delicious, and a recipe I'm very eager to try. However the only thing I dislike about it is the fact that it calls for corn, which I loathe. Can I just omit it? By omitting it would it ruin the consistency of the soup (thin it out.....)?

I was just thinking of replacing the corn with normal "soup veggies" (carrots and celery) and adding some cubed potatoes (a mix of russet and red). The only thing I see that acts as a thickening agent is making a slurry by combining the cornstarch and regular milk. Would like to replace the jalapeno with chili powder, as I dislike very spicy food and add cumin. Are these good or bad additions? For veggies, since I'm using 3, was thinking of just increasing the original measurement of corn (which is 5 cups)
to 6; that way I could get 2 c each of carrots, celery, and potatoes.

Opinions needed please. Soup sounds divine and would love to try it.

Below is the recipe:

Curried Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe | Recipezaar

The corn would provide a sweetness the other veggies would not. Replace the jalapeno with a bell pepper. Chili powder is a totally different flavor.

I agree with Andy, but I would make the bell pepper a red one, and go with diced carrots and potatoes too, and maybe even a hand full of frozen peas.
Make it your own!
It sounds good.

I don't mind that omitting the corn from the dish would make the dish less sweet. Most of the time, I just don't like incorporating sweet flavors into dishes that are meant to be savory; it just gives an "off taste" to me that isn't appealing. The only thing I'd really like to know is if replacing the corn with other veggies will effect the thickness. If not, then that's all I care about.

Thanks to the both of you for your input. I'm very grateful.

Omitting the corn should not affect the thickness since the recipe calls for thickening with a slurry. The corn would add chunkiness which you will get from the other veggies just as well. As for the sweetness of the corn over your other choices, you can always add a pinch of sugar if you want but I doubt you will since you don't like to mix sweet and savory. I'd say go ahead and make it with your changes. As the soup comes together, you can tweak flavors rather easily.

I agree with everyone else, toss in the substitutes, soups are very forgiving dishes. Depending on how long the entire dish simmers for, I'd cook the veggies up a little before tossing them into the soup so they are nice and tender. Let us know how it works out.

Keep the jalapeno. Remove the seeds and the ribs and rinse very well. You will be amazed at how "cold" it becomes, allowing the FLAVOR to come out.

Original recipe says to simmer it for 15 minutes. Something just occurred to me. Was thinking of doing this recipe in a slow cooker. Since I'm adding potatoes to the mixture of vegetables though, would doing the recipe in a slow cooker be feasible or would the potatoes turn to mush (if I added them initially following the recipe's instructions). If this would happen to the potatoes, with cooking this chowder in a crockpot, when
should they be added? Also, what setting should I set the crockpot on and for how long?

Thanks again for all the help, advice and suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom