On a broth kick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Did a roast duck last weekend and decided to go for some broth. Boiled the carcass, veggies, spices, etc we got 4L of broth.

Had a go with just veggies, spices, etc got 1.5L

Just did a roast turkey yesterday so thought why not give the broth a go in the slow cooker over night worked nicely. Sent 1L home with dad he’s been plotting snow nights so thought it’d be easy, cozy and tasty for mom to whip up a soup. Not sure how many more L of stock there is yet but a few for sure. We’re looking darn good for more soups!

What are you guys doing for soups while this winter is slow and locked down again

I'll have to give that slow cooker method a try.

I saw it on you tube and thought why not. House smelt so good waking up this morning.
Then I put a colander on top of a big pot in the sink and ump it all through. Easy clear and clean. Let it cool and pick apart bird meat bits

That was an interesting article. I wish there had been an explanation for why the chicken stock turned out less flavourful in the slow cooker. I would have thought that the lack of bubbles and the long cooking time would have made for a "clean", flavourful stock. I also would have liked to hear how stock turns out when made in a stock pot (all metal), as opposed to a Dutch oven. I wonder if they are referring to the Le Creuset style of Dutch oven, which is enamelled cast iron or if they include large stainless steel pots,which is what I usually use.

That was an interesting article. I wish there had been an explanation for why the chicken stock turned out less flavourful in the slow cooker. I would have thought that the lack of bubbles and the long cooking time would have made for a "clean", flavourful stock. I also would have liked to hear how stock turns out when made in a stock pot (all metal), as opposed to a Dutch oven. I wonder if they are referring to the Le Creuset style of Dutch oven, which is enamelled cast iron or if they include large stainless steel pots,which is what I usually use.

I make a lot of roasted soups 100% in the oven to. From what I understand especially for bone based broth/soup the slow cooker even on high is hot enough to cook everything but not as hot as other options ie stove top. That few degrees difference is the threshold that really melts the marrow/bones structure kinda thing and as that breaks down it makes the noticeable difference.
If I’m remembering correctly (which I may not be) I think the difference is only 10-20 degrees but it’s the line in the sand.

It's funny but I go thru periods of making lots and none for months.

Over Christmas we had a goose - I used the carcass and left it on the stove overnight. Made about 4 cups, almost 1 litre of broth.

Early Jan. bought some soup bones with beautiful marrow, roasted them up, and made about the same amount, closer to 6 cups. Made onion soup. Not over night, but between roasting and in pot was quite late in the evening.

Last week, chicken legs with backs, were on special. Bought some, removed the backs, dug out other chicken pieces from the freezer, roasted them, and made almost 8 cups in the slow cooker overnight.

The goose was done in a large stock pot.
Beef bones in a Dutch Oven.
Chicken in the slow cooker.

Difference - nope, not that I could tell. I was making bone broth though, not stock, not that I think it makes a difference.

taxy, to me a Dutch Oven is a heavy cast iron pot,
Stock Pot is a large metal pot - often with a heavy bottom,
Slow Cooker is.... hmmm - a slow cooker. :LOL:

...to me a Dutch Oven is a heavy cast iron pot,
Stock Pot is a large metal pot - often with a heavy bottom,
Slow Cooker is.... hmmm - a slow cooker. :LOL:

There are saucepans and stock pots.

A saucepan is usually 4 to 8 quarts in size, and wider than it is tall. This shape provides a larger surface area for evaporation while cooking to concentrate flavors of sauces.

A stockpot is usually 8 to 20 quarts in size and taller than it is wide. This is to minimize evaporation during extended cooking times when making stocks.

A Dutch oven (or French oven in the case of Le Crueset) is a saucepan made with heavier metal such as cast iron.

Back left - Stock pot
Front left - Large pot (tag said stock pot)
Front right - Soup pot

That’s what these were labelled and sold as

Attachments

• 5FA7D365-00A2-4940-9C1D-0DC73E2DB593.jpg
    5FA7D365-00A2-4940-9C1D-0DC73E2DB593.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 114
...no other definition for 'slow cooker' Andy? :LOL::LOL:

Nope. I never cook in a slow cooker. Everyone knows what they are. I have the time and inclination to do it the regular way. SO brought two with her when she moved in with me. We gave one away and keep the other for keeping foods warm on a serving table for a buffet.

Back left - Stock pot
Front left - Large pot (tag said stock pot)
Front right - Soup pot

That’s what these were labelled and sold as

I learned some time ago that you cannot rely on manufacturers' designations. They are more interested in marketing their product than providing an accurate definition. I don't even want to get into the "is it a fry pan or a sauté pan?" question.

Yeah, those descriptions of stock pot, sauce pan, Dutch oven, and French oven are the ones I would use. Other than Dragnlaw, who uses a Dutch or French oven to make stock? I gotta wonder why they didn't use a stock pot as one of the ways they tested stock making.

And Dragn, why did you use a Dutch oven for the beef bones? Was it so you could roast the bones in the Dutch oven before making the stock?

And a general question for anyone or everyone: Do you use oil on the pan that you roast the bones on / in? How long do you roast them? And at what temperature?

I often roast my soup bones in the oven in a heavy Dutch oven no stove top then add veggies then broth etc. Takes hours but gives that nice roasted flavour some of my best soups

I don't oil when I roast. If I have a cooked carcass I do not roast with the exception of Lobster shells.
Chicken I roast at 350 - not long about 20 30 minutes.
Beef bones at 400 - about 40 minutes

Don't know why the difference in temp, just something I read.

For Broth I simmer chicken overnight, then add vegies and simmer another couple of hours.

Beef, I roast the vegies and add to the bones are about half way thru their simmering so they have several hours with the bones.

In future, I will use the slow cooker for both the beef and chicken as I can then do it overnight without worry. My stove, as I've mentioned on earlier threads, is difficult to keep at a low simmer.:mad:

Roasting bones for stock isn't rocket science. You need a hot oven and cook until the bones are roasted.

...Other than Dragnlaw, who uses a Dutch or French oven to make stock?...
I use whatever pot fits the ingredients, liquid volume, and burner(s) on my stove top. With the proper pot configurations, I can cook four different soups at one time. Well, it was easier with earlier stoves. This one has a control panel that hangs over the back edge of the cooking surface. Only my narrowest pots can fit completely on the back burners if I have big stock pots or dutch ovens on the front burners - and those larger pots can't fit the back burners at all.

The things you learn to look for on the fly...

Back
Top Bottom