Oriental Coconut Shrimp Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Oriental Coconut Shrimp Soup

1 14-1/2-ounce can chicken broth
1 small zucchini, cut into matchstick-size pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 green onion, bias-cut into 1-1/4-inch slices (2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons minced fresh lemon grass or 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
12 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deviled
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil
2 tablespoons toasted shaved coconut

Bring broth to boiling in a saucepan. Add zucchini, green onion, ginger, lemon grass or lemon peel, and crushed red pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, 1-3 minutes or until shrimp is opaque. Add coconut milk. Heat through (do not boil). Ladle into bowls. Top with shredded basil and coconut. Makes 8 appetizer servings.

Thanks lyndlou. The combo of ingredients looks so good. Hope you enjoy :)

I make something like this a lot, (usually with chicken) and it's awesome!! And really easy!

I would suggest a hit of fish sauce or soy sauce, though.

Definitely agree on adding fish sauce it should bring out more taste for the shrimp. I like the Thai version of fish sauce as opposed to the chinese. You could also simply use canned anchovies (canned in oil, not the ones in mustard) which should be similar to the thai.

There is also a thai Chile Basil sauce that is sold commercially and is a great bang for the buck in this.

I would add something stronger than red chile flakes (1/4 tsp.? cmon!); the chile-basil sauce is one option, any good oriental chile sauce should do.

Instead of soy sauce, try tamari sauce. It's like soy but has sourness to it, it should enhance the lemon grass, effect. This sometimes makes a big difference in taste (vs just soy).

Garlic can be used, I love garlic and would definitely go with that and ginger.
Cilantro can be used either w/ basil or instead of. I like them both.

Great suggestions. Thank you. Always welcome new ideas on improving a recipe.

It does look like a good recipe, I might be the only one in the family eating it. The different options suggested sound good too. Interesting combination of ingredients. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom