Oxtail Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fng_3887

Cook
all time fav in hawaii

3 lbs. oxtail cut in sections & trimmed of all fat
1/2 cup raw peanuts, blanched
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled & sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
8-10 dried black mushrooms
1 small piece dried orange peel
1 slice ginger, crushed
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup liquor (dry white wine, brandy, or whiskey)
Salt & pepper to taste

Garnish
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 bunch Chinese parsley, chopped

Rehydrate mushrooms in hot water for 30-45 minutes. Drain & slice.
Parboil oxtail for 5 minutes. Drain.
Add all ingredients except garnish and simmer with oxtail until oxtail is tender (about 2 to 3 hrs.) in as much water as desired.
Garnish with chopped green onions and Chinese parsley.

My mother had us over Sunday and we had oxtail soup - I just love the stuff! She makes a much more basic version than you and does it in a pressure cooker. I'm in the process of trying to find a reasonable butcher shop to buy from. Local store wants $5/# with a minimum 30# order.

Ok, having braised oxtails in chianti I see now that the meat does just sluff off the bones.:cool:
Wow those ox tails are intensely beefy!

I'm not where I can get at it, but I have what we consider an awesome oxtail soup recipe. I'll try to post it tomorrow. When I make it, there's never any left.

We love oxtails here and I'm fortunate to have found a local mom-and-pop butcher shop that has fantastic ones.

I've never made oxtail soup before, but I always put oxtail in my crab soup.
Oxtail adds a great deep rich flavor that I've never been able to find with beef cubes or beef bones. I just wish they were a bit less expensive ( about $4.00 a lb here)

Thanks for the recipe, I love oxtails. Katie E, that's a great price. Last time I wanted to buy some they were $4.99 lb, with not much meat on them.

I would think that beef broth and particularly oxtail would overwhelm the delicate flavor of crab.

I won't be cooking them soon. Gonna wait 'til the weather gets cooler.

I've never cooked them before. Today in the supermarket, I saw a package and bought it as I have heard many comment on how good it is. I figured it was time to check them out.

I'll have to try and get the recipe. My mother's "vegetable beef" soup is basically oxtail soup with some kind of cubes of beef in the ultimate result, as opposed to the meat from the oxtails.

The broth is stupid good. Seriously, the meat flavor is so rich I can't even explain it. For years, I thought my mom knew something that every other person that made "vegetable soup" didn't know. Find out it was oxtails =P

Sorry I was such a goober and didn't post this when I promised. Better late than never. I'm also going to post it as a separate recipe under "soups" so those searching for it can find it easily. Enjoy!

KATIE’S FAVORITE OXTAIL SOUP
(Serves 4)​
2 lbs. oxtails, cut into 1½-in. pieces
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained, or equivalent quantity of home-canned tomatoes, with liquid
1 (10½-oz.) can condensed beef broth or equivalent quantity of homemade broth
½ cup water
½ cup dry red wine
1 tsp. granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme, bruised
1 bay leaf
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienned strips
4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into julienned strips
½ cup frozen peas

Trim visible fat from oxtails and dust with flour. In a soup pot or Dutch oven, brown oxtails in hot oil. Add onion, tomatoes with juice, beef broth, water, wine, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is just tender. Skim off excess fat. Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add peas; cook about 5 minutes or until peas are heated through. Serve immediately. Note: Don't be tempted to leave the parsnips out. They add an important flavor "note" to the soup. Even people who don't like parsnips, like this soup.

:)I have never seen oxtails around here maybe in Santa Fe.I remember as a little girl in Germany it was traditional every spring to eat ox tail soup my Grandmother would say it was neccessary as it is supposed to be loaded with nutrients.There would be people who would come around selling the soup.

I finally got around to making an oxtail soup Saturday night. I put together a recipe from the best of your suggetions. I thought it was delicious! We had it with a baguette and butter and wine. We'll be finishing it off tonight for dinner.

Thanks to you all for your help!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom