Pea Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HMMMM!

I still like a good deal of "chunkiness" in my pea soup...be it peas, ham bits, onion bits, carrot shreds, or whatever...

Much as PA describes, but omitting the pureeing of the results...

Mind, I can accept that PA was cooking to "demand" from her Mom, and am not "crabbing there"...

Lifter

Grateful for all the experienced information shown here. Better than reading a good novel. I do thank you all for your time.

Good thing I have computer that I can save these recipes. The printer just conked out. Possibly overworked with all the recipes and advice I print. Just have to get another one. I don't want to pass all this important documents. Am I the only one that prints these recipes? Guess you have more efficient way of finding them but if I don't print it I can't remember it. I appreciate all the time you spend putting them here. Having someone recommend something they think is good is extra help to me. Thank you all for your interest.

ITK, I print 'em out and put them in a special BIG DiscussCooking notebook binder and also save 'em on the old hard drive. Still haven't tried all the neat ideas I've gleaned from this board, but the year is young!

mudbug, bet that notebook is pretty thick? Guess you catagorize them too? My printer is still not working so have to check to see if we can get something faster and not give me grief.

Well, I made the pea soup Tuesday and ate on Thursday. Could someone tell me why the soup started 'burning' on the bottom when the soup was not completely heated through? Could it be the Revere Copper bottom that causes this? It is supposedly a quick heat conductor. I was given this pots from my former mother in law. What brand of pots do you think are best? I thought Farberware was a good brand. This bothers me because it happens everytime I make peasoup.

thanks

Pea soup contains starchy solids from the peas. They do tend to stick to the bottom and burn easily. A better way to reheat the soup is in the microwave. Otherwise, you can heat them in the oven, over a very low heat, or in a double boiler. I just do it on top of the stove, in a heavy sauce pan with good heat conducting ability.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Pea soup and johnny cake, makes a Frenchman's belly ache. You guys got me going, so I had to make some. The minute I mentioned it, my blind freind started salivating, so I brought her up a bowl.

Yes, the very worst thing you can do to pea soup is scorch it,and that is incredibly easy to do. Pea soup should ALWAYS be re-heated in the microwave rather than on the stove top, because it is so easy to burn once it is thickened. I prefer the chunkiness myself, but hubby likes it smooth, so I tend to vary it -- one time I make it smooth, the next time I make it chunky.

I always make my regular pea soup with green split peas .... was surprised when I heard about Canadians and yellow split peas, given that this is a family thing, and the family is French-Canadian. When I make a soup with yellow split peas I make it curried (actually, a sort of dal), which is delicious, but another cup of soup entirely.

Oh, dear, think I hear a cup of pea soup calling my name right now!

"sung to "Danny Boy"...

"Le Claire, Le Claire,
Les pois appellent...

From glen to glen, across he mountainside

(sorry, my semi-bilingual daughter gave up on me halfway through!)

Lifter

You guys are great!!!! I think it's the first time anyone composed a song for me!!!! And how appropriate that it's a song in French about pea soup. When I tell Mom she'll split a rib laughing!!! (yes, my parents were born in the US, but are bilingual .... shame I didn't inherit that. My French is pretty sorry!!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom