Philadelphia style creamed chicken soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
1 small onion chopped
1/2 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
3 stalks celery, optional
20 medium mushrooms, optional (I use less, just 1 box of buttom mushrooms)
1/2 lb. butter
1 cup flour
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
2 lb. cooked chicken (1 to 2 lbs. is ok)
1 cup sour cream
1 t. curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

I stew the chicken and make my own broth before starting the recipe, but you could use already cooked chicken and canned chicken broth.

In a thick bottom pot, saute onion, carrot, celery, and mushrooms in butter on medium heat until desired doneness.

Lower heat and add flour. Stir the roux constantly for about 2 minutes.

Add chicken stock and whisk to incorporate roux completely.

Add the chicken meat, sour cream (I add the warm soup to the cream to temper it, but I don't know if it is necessary), curry powder, and salt and pepper.

Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally

Optional:
Add pads of butter until desired taste
Add milk if you want to change consistency
I sometimes add at the end, frozen corn and peas for a little bit of a change

http://img353.imageshack.us/my.php?image=philstylecreamychickensoupresi.jpg

That sounds really good, except for one thing...I have never tasted curry seasoning. Forgive me, but I live in the sticks. Can you give me some idea of what it tastes like?
Does 1 t mean teaspoon or 1 tablespoon?
I'm cooking seared/braised chicken breasts tonight, and always make extra...also have some good homemade chicken broth in the freezer. This might be a good soup to go with sandwiches for the weekend.

Constance 1t. is one teaspoon. I'm not really good at describing flavors so hopefully someone else can help with that, but you should be able to find it easily in the spice section of your grocery store

Last edited:
I actually have an unopened jar in my cabinet...just haven't had the nerve to try it. I'll be fine with it if it doesn't contain cilantro or anything that tastes like licorice. I know it often contains coriander, which is the cilantro seed, and I"m a little hesitant about that.

Constance, I don't think you will have a problem with curry powder. It doesn't taste anything like licorice and you can't (or I can't anyway) taste coriander in it. This is a great looking recipe, thanks!!

Gorgeous recipe, I want to try this really soon (perhaps I'll swap the sour cream for low fat creme fraiche though), it just sounds so tastey :)

Constance you'll probably like curry, I just love it! To me it has a very sweet, savoury flavour that is reminstant of things like cinnamon, ginger, cumin and allspice.

Mmmm,that sounds good, Jessica. I've saved this recipe, and certainly will give it a try. I have everything I need, but it's getting ready to rain, and the bones are not cooperating. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom