Pho Ga Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuinnQuiver

Assistant Cook
A recipe I am trying to make(Pho Ga Soup) says it requires
1)Thick 4-inch section fresh ginger, unpeeled
and then later on another...
2) 3-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped

Is the 4-inch fresh ginger the same thing as the 3-inch ginger ROOT? or are
they different vegetables?
I have ginger root.

That's a lot of trimming from 4 " to 3". I would say they are the same. I like a lot of ginger and minimally scrape off the skin with the back of a teaspoon.

Post the recipe for a better interpretation. Maybe the whole, unpeeled ginger is for the broth and the peeled ginger is for another purpose like marinating the chicken?

Pho ga soup question 2

Post the recipe for a better interpretation. Maybe the whole, unpeeled ginger is for the broth and the peeled ginger is for another purpose like marinating the chicken?

Well I attempted the recipe with it in mind that fresh ginger is the same as fresh ginger root....the one thing about the recipe though I thought was confusing is that I actually started to think the fresh ginger and fresh ginger root were actually the same ingredient...I don't know why they would post them twice though...it was some confusing directions.
Also I couldn't figure what they wanted me to do with the yellow onions so I just tossed them in the broth...they say to heat up a Thick 4-inch of fresh ginger, unpeeled and onion and then put them in the oven on a baking sheet until they get an even char.....but after that the direction do not indicate what to do with the onions and ginger. That is what brought me to do what I did when making the pho ga....I put the onions in the broth but I didn't put the fresh ginger in the broth(I saved it for later as a paste which is the other ingredient). I guess I am wondering if there is any Pho Ga experts and if 1) I am supposed to put a 4-inch section of fresh ginger (cut into 1/2 inch pieces) directly into the broth and then later cut another 3-inch section from the main ginger vegetable and use that in addition(for the ginger paster) OR 2) If am supposed to take the 4-inch section of ginger(and not put it into the broth) and turn it into a 3-inch section of ginger by peeling it(which is what I did)????

Also it wasn't clear on the ingredients if I was supposed to leave the spices in the soup or take them out of the soup after a while?

So to review my questions are:
1) what exactly do I do with the ginger(whether it is 2 or 1 ingredients?
2) what do I do with the yellow onions?
3) what do I do with spices?
bonus) Can I use anise extract instead of star anise since I cannot find star anise anywhere in any grocery stores? I tried this...it smelled and tasted way too anise-y...is the pho ga supposed to smell and taste very anise -y?
I thought of another question) Am I supposed cook the rice noodles? because it doesn't indicate that...the noodles were hard to begin with even after pouring the soup so I microwaved the individual bowls a little. Any advice?

Well here is the exact directions as it is shown in the cookbook:

Ingredients:

Broth
2 yellow onions, about 1 pound total, unpeeled
Thick 4-inch section fresh ginger, unpeeled
5-6 star anise
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 whole cinnamon stick
4-8 whole cloves

3-3/4 cups chicken stock(yes there is a space but I have no idea why)
1-inch chunk yellow rock sugar(or 1 tablespoon granulated sugar)
4 ounces rice noodles
3-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
2 small fresh red chilies, seeded and chopped
1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 cup bean sprouts
Lime Wedges
Nouc Mam sauce(or other fish sauce)

To Prepare the broth:
*Place ginger and onion on a baking sheet close to the heating element
*Set the broiler on high and cook for 15 minutes
*Turn the onion and ginger occasionally to get an even char. The skin should get dark and the onion/ginger should get soft. Let cool and then rub to get the charred skin off the onion and use a dull knife to scrape the skin off the ginger. Slice ginger into 1/2 inch slices(After this there is no mention of what to do with onions or the 4-inch piece of ginger wth)
*In a Wok or Fry Pan on low heat for 2-3 minutes toast, careful not burn, the anise coriander seeds, fennel, cinnamon and cloves. When the aroma is strong, turn of the heat and remove the spices from the pan. Tie up the spices in some cheesecloth and string to form a bundle(I don't have a cheesecloth and it never indicated whether or not to remove the spices so I justed tossed the spices in the soup...did I do wrong?)
*Add broth to pan and bring to a boil. Add to the boiling broth the spice bundle and sugar. Reduce heat and simmer. Remove 1/3 cup of the broth; set aside.
To Prepare the accompaniments:
*Soak the rice noodles in a bowl of cold water 30 minutes.
*Process the ginger(is this the same ginger as before??? or a seperate 3-inch piece of uncooked peeled ginger??) in a food processor or blender with the salt to make a paste. Scrape into a bowl and stir in the reserved 1/3 cup of broth;set aside.
*Trim tops from onions, then separate the green from the white part of the onions(these are the green onions of course). Chop both separately. *Add white part of onions to the broth in the pan with 1 tablespoon mint and cilantro, and all of the chilies. Simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken and continue at a simmer 5 minutes.
*Drain the rice noodles through a sieve. Then put into a bowl and stir in chopped green onion tops and remaining tablespoon each mint and cilantro.(this was kind of awkward since rice noodles were between being soft and hard(I had them in water for about 40 mins), but not completely soft...is that how they should be or should I cook the rice a tiny bit??) To serve, let each person spoon noodles into their bowl and ladle the soup over them.
*Serve with bowls of the ginger paste, bean sprouts and lime wedges on the side. Let each person add fish sauce to taste.

To reemphasize...my original question was whether ginger root and ginger were the same THING or ITEM(AKA different items to be bought separately at the grocery store)...I pretty much am positive now that they are the same(unless someone indicates they are not)....my new question is whether or not the ginger and ginger root are the same exact INGREDIENT in this specific recipe?

While the author of the recipe may make decent pho, I'm inclined to say that written recipe itself is garbage. I'd find another recipe honestly. If it's poorly written, it's just as equally well thought out. And what does that say about the outcome?

Thats a terrible recipe, indeed.

Broiling onions and ginger for 15 minutes? They'd be charcoal.

And, to reiterate: "fresh ginger" and "ginger root" are exactly the same thing. Pretty much the only usable part of the plant is the root.

I think the two gingers are for divided use. One to put some in while you make the broth/ stock. The 2nd when you actually combine the solid ingredients. However 7 inches ginger is way too much. I, who like ginger, only use about a two inch piece total in any given recipe. That's a lot of star anise too. If you can find powdered anise or regular anise seeds, not anise oil, you could try that. Otherwise up the amount of fennel a litte, and slightly crush the seeds before using.

Overall, I recommend, as others, check out a different recipe for comarison.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom