Polish Cabbage Borscht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I found this recipe for cabbage borscht on Cookstr. I pretty much abhor beets, but Mark likes them, and I’ve never actually had borscht, so I thought it might be a good experiment for me and a treat for Mark.

Thing is, I don’t wanna dig out my slow cooker. Can I make this in a Dutch oven, covered, in a really low oven (like 250°F)? What think you, DC denizens?

Thanks GG and Larry! The slow cooker method says 3 hours on high, or 6 hours on low. So how many hours in a covered Dutch oven in a 275°F oven (my oven runs quite a bit hot)? 3? 6? Or split the diff at 4 1/2?

Im not sure of a good time , what I usually do is base it on the consistency I like my potatoes and beets ( and in this case the carrots). Since they are the hardest and take longest to soften up, once they are the consistency I like, I consider them done. I know its not scientific, but works for me.
But this means, you'd have to taste the beets to determine this :)

Also, the potatoes could sometimes break down ( which I don't like). The beets and carrots will usually keep their shape.

Sorry, Im rambling here, just thinking out loud.

There are recipes for "white" borscht which has no beets in it. My mil made it every Easter.

It's not the same thing as red, of course, but just a thought.

Thanks GG and Larry! The slow cooker method says 3 hours on high, or 6 hours on low. So how many hours in a covered Dutch oven in a 275°F oven (my oven runs quite a bit hot)? 3? 6? Or split the diff at 4 1/2?

I can do a pot roast in the oven in 4 hours. You're cooking vegetables to you shouldn't need nearly that long. Overcooking will result in mush.

You really don't need the oven at all. It will cook nicely on the stovetop.

Last edited:
Im not sure of a good time , what I usually do is base it on the consistency I like my potatoes and beets ( and in this case the carrots). Since they are the hardest and take longest to soften up, once they are the consistency I like, I consider them done. I know its not scientific, but works for me.
But this means, you'd have to taste the beets to determine this :)

Also, the potatoes could sometimes break down ( which I don't like). The beets and carrots will usually keep their shape.

Sorry, Im rambling here, just thinking out loud.
Keep on ramblin’, Larry! We get your best thoughts, ideas and advice when you do!

There are recipes for "white" borscht which has no beets in it. My mil made it every Easter.

It's not the same thing as red, of course, but just a thought.
I’ll have to check those out, BuckyTom. But for now, I’ll stick with the red, for Mark
Thanks!

I can do a pot roast in the oven in 4 hours. You're cooking vegetables to you shouldn't need nearly that long. Overcooking will result in mush.

You really don't need the oven at all. It will cook nicely on the stovetop.
I’m sure making it stovetop would be great. Why would the recipe call for a slow cooker though? I certainly agree, though, that mushy veggies are no treat!

Have you ever had it braised, Russ? I'll cook down pieces of bacon, take them out and put shredded cabbage into the pot and mix. Then add in 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, mild beer, or stock, and cook on low for 45 minutes or so. Stir every once in a while. Don't forget to mix in the bacon at the end. Be sure to cook extra for nibbling. ;)

Have you ever had it braised, Russ? I'll cook down pieces of bacon, take them out and put shredded cabbage into the pot and mix. Then add in 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, mild beer, or stock, and cook on low for 45 minutes or so. Stir every once in a while. Don't forget to mix in the bacon at the end. Be sure to cook extra for nibbling. ;)
Not to mention stuffed and braised in tomato sauce. I'm not a fan, but DH and his dad love it.

Back
Top Bottom