Posolé Rojo con Chipotles TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I've been working on perfecting a Posolé for a couple years now. With this version, I believe I have accomplished that goal. FYI I used the leftover BBQ pulled pork from last night, as well as all the dark pork gelatin that came out of it as part of the stock. What little bit is left over ought to be great tomorrow! Bon Appetit!

Posolé Rojo con Chipotles
Pork and Hominy Stew with Chipotles
Yield: 8 servings

1 ½ # Pork country-style ribs
-or- leftover pork roast
-or- leftover smoked pork butt
8 c pork or chicken stock
2 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic
2 t Mexican Seasoning mix
½ t ground Chipotle chile pepper
-or- 2 Chipotle chile peppers
1 t oregano
2 T salt, or to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 - 2 bay leaves
One 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
Two 15 oz cans hominy
For Garnish:
Flour tortillas, cut into strips and fried
Shredded cheese
Sour cream
Chopped green onions

In a large soup pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add the pork, cover, and simmer for about 2 - 3 hours, or until the pork is fork-tender. Pour off most of the stock into a large measuring cup. Remove the pork from the broth, and shred the pork with a couple forks. Return the pork to the pot.
In a separate pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, Mexican seasoning mix, Chipotle pepper, oregano, salt, black pepper, and the bay leaves. Cook over medium heat until the onions start to become translucent, and the seasonings begin to caramelize. Scrap as much of this off the pan bottom as you can. Add the crushed tomatoes and turn the heat to medium-high. Stir constantly, scraping the pan bottom often, as the tomatoes caramelize, about 4 - 5 minutes. This will add color and flavor to the stew. Add the pork, stock, and hominy. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer, until the flavors marry, about 30 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust as needed.
Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish as desired from the list of garnishes.

Back
Top Bottom