Potato-Leek Soup in Bread Bowls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
Potato Leek Soup with Bread Bowls

2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced
2 large leeks, washed well and thinly sliced. Finely chop the green parts.
4 c. chicken broth or stock or vegetable stock
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4-1/2 c. heavy cream (I use half & half most of the time)
dash grated nutmeg
1 Tbs. dried parsley for garnish (optional)

In a large pot, combine the potatoes, leeks, chicken broth and salt & pepper (to taste, really). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Strain the soup into a large mixing bowl or another pan. Blend the potatoes and leeks with about 1/4 broth until smooth (I use my stick blender for this). Return blended mixture to pan with remaining liquid. Stir in cream and nutmeg and heat through. Spoon into prepared bread bowls. Sprinkle with parsley to garnish. Serves 4

Bread Bowls:

4 small round loaves of sourdough bread, unsliced
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
4 Tbs. olive oil

Cut the tops from the round loaves about 3/4 inch thick to make 'lids'. Using a sharp knife, cut around the inside of the loaf leaving a 3/4" shell for the bowl to hollow out the center. (Save removed bread to make croutons or breadcrumbs, etc.) Rub the inside of the bowls and the lids with crushed garlic and brush with olive oil. Bake on a baking sheet at 350F until slightly toasted. Serve the soup in the bread bowls. Don't forget, you can eat the bowl! (Place the "bread bowls" in a deep soup bowl or plate so it doesn't get all sloppy.)

Last edited:
Guess I'd better not yet post...

my recipe for roasted butternut squash soup! One of the things I love to do is eat something in a restaurant and then duplicate it at home.

There's more to come, folks!:chef:

I love potatoe and leek soup. Never tried roasted butternut squash soup. Please post your recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom