Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
The potato is probably my favorite vegetable - no matter how it is prepared. Heck, I even like 'em raw!

For a nice lunch, a bowl of potato soup satisfies both taste and tummy. And, by tossing in onion and chilling, you approach that most famous of classy soups, vichyssoise. O.K., I know vichyssoise is made with leek instead of onion, but the other day I used a combination of scallions and red onion, and the resulting flavor was very close - and very good!

I started with a medium sized white rose spud (baking potatos are too grainy for my taste). Peeled and diced small. Then a nearly equal amount of onion, half scallion, half red, also chopped small for quick cooking. Added a pinch of salt, covered with water, and boiled rapidly until the vegetables were very, very well done, and the water nearly gone. (Be sure not to pour off the water, that's where most of the flavor is!

Using an immersion blender, (hand mashing would work, too) I pureed the vegetables, then added half-and-half milk to obtain a heavy cream consistency. Adjusted the salt. Poured the resulting cup of soup into a bowl and chilled in the freezer a few inutes until ice cold. Then I garnished it with fresh ground pepper (chopped parsely or paprika would work, too), and served myself in the garden, accompanied by a fresh, hot loaf of sesame french, a glass of chardonnay and a little ceese. Very pleasant lunch on a very hot day!

vixhysoisse.JPG

Last edited:
What a wonderful lunch oldcoot and thanks ever-so-much for yet another famous picture - I just love it that you make everything look wonderful!

For a twist on potato soup, or potato chowder for that matter, add cubed rutabegga. It has a sweet flavor that turns potato soup into soup reminiscent of clam chowder, but more subtle.

Oh I wish I could still eat lots of potatoes. They are yummy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
In my potato soup I put a couple of sliced carrots and celery and toward the end I melt in a little american cheese and add salt and pepper to taste. :)

I love taters, too - every which way!! Thanks, oldcoot, for sharing. Looks like a delightful place to eat lunch :)

Back
Top Bottom