Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shondell

Assistant Cook
ISO recipe for turning mashed potatoes into potato soup

I made mashed potatoes on saturday night, i want to turn them into a potato soup, how long will this keep in the fridge before it is time to throw it out. also does anyone have any suggestions?
thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Should last a couple of days. Freeze any leftovers - but eat them on the day you defrost them, or if you defrost in the 'fridge overnight, the next day.

potato pancakes and shepard's pie are my favorite things to make with leftover mashed spuds...

One abfab thing to do with leftover mashed potatoes is this: Mix with equal parts creampuff pastry. Chill. Form golf ball-sized balls, roll in fine breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and a little Parmesan, and deep fry.

Or: Chill. Form into patties, dredge lightly in seasoned flour, and fry like hamburgers.

Cats

Catseye, I've done a similar thing w/the puff pastry, except seasoning the potatoes well, then rolling out a whole sheet of puff pastry, and placing a line of the potatoes down the length of the sheet; then roll up the sheet, brush w/ egg wash, cut into 1 inch sections, and bake at 425 til the pastry is golden brown - easy and inexpensive appetizer!

Bubble n squeak is good, too!

Cold mashed potatoes, mixed with any leftover green veggies - cabbage and/or sprouts is traditional..

Fry an onion until golden, but not too brown - mix into the potatoes, along with the cabbage. Heat a frying pan with a little oil fill with the potatoes/green veg stuff and shape into a cake. Brown on the bottom. Turn or put under a grill until brown on the top.

Serve with lashings of HP sauce. :LOL:

Or Tattie scones is good, too.

Cheddar Potato Soup

Yield: 4 servings
1 pkg STOUFFER'S® frozen Potatoes Au Gratin
1 pkg STOUFFER'S® frozen Welsh Rarebit
1 cup milk
1 tbsp chopped green onion
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Procedures
1 Combine Potatoes au Gratin, Welsh Rarebit, milk, green onion and pepper in medium saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, over medium heat until soup begins to simmer. Remove from heat; add Cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
2 Makes 3 to 4 servings
3 *Defrost Welsh Rarebit in microwave on 50% power for 5 to 6 minutes

Catseye said:
One abfab thing to do with leftover mashed potatoes is this: Mix with equal parts creampuff pastry. Chill. Form golf ball-sized balls, roll in fine breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and a little Parmesan, and deep fry.

Or: Chill. Form into patties, dredge lightly in seasoned flour, and fry like hamburgers.

Cats

Cream puff pastry? Do you buy it or make it from scratch? I've seen sheets of it but, never cream?

pds, I think Cats is talking about choux pastry that you can make yourself. You can also use this pastry for eclairs. I can go find the recipe for it I posted under Desserts (eclairs) if you want and add it here.

I should have read this first but didn't. I will post then read what everyone said. If this is somehow a repeat, please excuse.

Our grandson had his first birthday on January 1st. We were at our daughters house for the party and celebration. 60 people were invited so the food had to be prepared. Our daughter had the menu planned, but I'd cooked there several times and had things in seal a meal bags in the freezer for later use. One thing I had in there was large batch of mashed potatoes. Another thing in there was red pasta sauce with it's meatballs. No pasta, just the sauce and meat balls frozen together. In helping her out with the meal, I decided to defrost the mashed potatoes and the pasta sauce and knew I could come up with a soup of some sort. I know it sounds like (very odd ingredients) >> the combinations I chose, but to me, I had the making of my Norwegian based albondagos (sp?) soup. Many of the people coming to the party are hispanic, so I thought that particular soup would be enjoyed by most. I cooked up onions and celery and carrot, all chopped very small, in olive oil and let them get soft. I added salt and pepper and garlic to the mix and cooked a bit more. All the while, the potatoes and pasta sauce and meatballs were defrosting/defrosted. To a c5 qt. crock pot, I added the red sauce and potatoes and the sauteed veggies plus, white wine and chicken broth, enough until the consistency was soup-ish. Stirred it all well to incorporate the sauce with the potatoes and break them up, then added the meatballs. This cooked in the crockpot all day until the party where I served next to it with the bowls, crushed tortilla chips and 4 cheese shredded Mexican cheese to top. What a wonderful soup (that all but about a cup), completely disappeared.

Just one reason to freeze those leftover mashed potatoes, you never know what you'll use them for.

I just read what everyone's post said. I love these ideas. They are very helpful and I must agree with the Shepards Pie. I love that. It's so easy and a main dish that is really filling and satisfying too.

There is a restaurant quality baked potatoe soup online that I've used many times, which calls for other than baked potatoes, mashed ones added in there too. I googled and found it.

thanks for the recipe lefselover. that's my kinda way to cook. take normal leftovers that are from totally different dishes, and combine them into something new and tasty.

WOW LEFSE - it sounds great!!! My son likes to make chili out of spaghetti sauce by just adding McCormicks or another type chili seasoning packet - and when I was growning up we ALWAYS ate our chili served over mashed potatoes - so it didn't sound too odd :shock: to me!!! lol ;) I love it when the mind works!! lol

Catseye said:

Cats
Catseye thatt sounds wonderful, would be a good idea for an appetizer, why not post it there.

Mashed Potato-Thyme Soup

2 tb unsalted butter
1 md onion, minced
2 scallions, white part only, thinly sliced
3 shallots, minced
2 1/2 c vegetable stock
2 ts finely chopped fresh thyme
2 c firmly packed smooth homemade mashed potatoes
1/4 c dry white wine
1 salt and pepper to taste
3 tb chopped fresh chives to garnish, optional

In heavy 2-3 quart saucepan over med-high heat, melt the butter.
Add the onion, scallions and shallots.
Cook, stirring, until soft but not browned.
Stir in the stock and herb and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Gradually stir in the potatoes, a cup at a time.
Bring to a second boil.
Reduce heat to low, stir in the wine; simmer 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls, garnished with chives if desired.

Good Luck!

I'm terrible in that I consider recipes to be suggestions, and seldom use one beginning to end. I'd buy 2-3 leeks, wash and chop (actually, if you ignore the chefs, it is easier to chop, then wash!!). Saute in butter or olive oil (or a combination, my favorite) with a clove of garlic. Then I'd throw on the mashed potatoes, and add chicken broth until it was the thickness I desired. Salt to taste and lots of coarse ground black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom