Preventing the dreaded soggy pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccoondog

Assistant Cook
Hello all!

New member here. I know this topic has been discussed previously in some posts in the past, and I agree that the best way to prevent soggy pasta is to cook it separately, and add just what you need as you serve it. I typically use ditalini, orzo or ancini de pepe for best results.

But I have a slightly different question. Why don't the pastas that come in canned soups like chicken and noodle soup, alphabet soup, etc. become soggy? Are they added dry to the soup just prior to canning? Are they made differently?

Thanks.

talk to ya' later,

Chris

What a good question! I wish I had a good answer! You've got me to thinking though. Now I want to know too, so I hope someone has the answer soon!

:)Barbara

Not totally sure, but read this persons method that they put up on Vegweb. It is mixed in with the recipe for their soup, just read the whole thing it is short........

Recipe submitted by armel@erols.com

Spinach Tomato Pasta Soup

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 qt. of canned tomatoes (approximately, I use canned from my garden but you can get tomatoes in cans from the store)
1 qt. of tomato juice (also homemade, but store bought will work)
spices-I like sage, chives, and
1/2-1 pkg. of frozen spinach (amount depends on how you like spinach, start with less then add more if needed)
pasta- I use penne, but you can experiment- only use as much pasta as you can eat at the first serving, otherwise it swells up and gets mushy
you may also need to add more tomato juice depending on how much juice you want

Directions:

In a large pot, mix together tomatoes, tomato juice, and spices. Let these cook for awhile so the spices can cook. After the soup mixture has come to a boil you can add the pasta and allow to cook to desired consistency. Or you can precook the pasta and add when you feel the soup has cooked long enough. I have made this soup several times and I do not use a recipe. If you find a better way, or mistakes, please let me know since I am doing this out of my head.

This was fantastic! It has a nice thick texture and great flavor. I added a little onion and a dash of oregano. I stayed with half a box of spinach and it turned out perfect.

Archived comment by: lori My mother and grandmother have made a variation of this for years. They taught me an easy way to decrease the amount of swelling in the pasta so you can make a little more for the next day. Basically, you add a little oil to a pan and lightly brown the pasta to a rich golden brown. You have to stay close and stir it once it starts browning. Once its browned, take it off the stove and blot the oil with paper towels. (You should only have enough oil in the pan to coat the pasta - not swimming in it.) Once the pasta is browned, add the tomato juice, water, and spices. I usually add onion but do not brown the onion with the pasta. It will burn. The pasta will cook up in the juice/water but won't get as mushy and turn into slop. I love this soup and make it several times a year. Its easy. Lisa

Commercially "canned" soups, along with many other products, are not cooked and processed the same way as in the home and often may keep such procedures/equipment as trade secret so they have an advantage over their competition.

I find the pasta in canned soup to be very soggy.

I was going to say the same - they are VERY soggy! And those that aren't soggy look at it this way...I seriously doubt they cook the pasta in the soup. I feel sure they add it after the fact and after everything is cooled.

Canned food cannot be "cooled" before being sealed and with high speed assembly lines I don't know if there would be a difference when the noodles were added. For home cooking it makes a difference and for canning such are not added at all. I guess the commercial secret remains a secret.

I find the pasta AND the vegetables in canned soup to be mushy.
I have complained to Progresso about this - of course they never answered
me.
I have given up on canned soups - when I make my own vegetable soup
I begin with sauted aromatics - add the broth - add some legume and let them cook
away. I would cook pasta separately and I also cook vegetables separately
(carrots, turnips, potato, zucchini anything you like) and add them to the
soup/stew at the end.

I watched a special the other day on Campbells soups and their chicken noodle soup is cooked after they are canned. Then the labels are put on the cans after they cool. I agree canned soup pasta seems soggy to me too.

I actually applaud companies that have figured out a way to include noodles or rice in a canned product and have it survive at all. It is avoided in home canned foods. They need to be added once the jar is opened.

You get the same results if you may soup with noodles in it and then freeze it. Noodles do not survive well.

Back
Top Bottom