Purpose of Farro in a Pureed Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I was out east this past weekend ( in the country/ farmland), and stopped by a local farm to browse. We wound up buying fresh baked bread ( still steamy when ripped in half. Was a whole grain sour dough). I also picked up a butternut squash soup.
The soup was really good, so I looked at the ingredients to see what I'd need to duplicate it.

I saw there was Farro as one of the ingredients. The soup was pureed and probably strained considering how smooth and silky it was.

I've eaten farro before, not much taste but kinda carries the other ingredients .

My question is, is the farro in the soup more as a thickening ingredient than anything else? I cant see it really adding much to the flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_3931.jpg
    IMG_3931.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 258
It looks like that's what it is; I've seen many recipes like this that use red lentils, but a grain like farro would probably do the same thing, though it takes longer to soften. I haven't used in dishes I will purée, but obviously it works!

I think farro is also a good source of protein in addition to providing body to the soup.

Also, you cannot discount the possibility that the farm had an excess of farro and decided to make soup with it to use it up. ;-)

Last edited:
I think farro is also a good source of protein in addition to providing body to the soup.

Also, you cannot discount the possibility that the farm had an excess of farro and decided to make soup with it to use it up. ;-)

Very possible. They are a small farm and strolling through the store looks like nothing goes to waste. Although not what ai was looking for, they had a freezer full of bones and chicken feet, all kinds of lard, chicken fat ... in a fridge , goat milk products from cheese, to milk, soap .... So looks like they are very efficient with their bounty, so why not throw surplus farro in the soup, Whatever its purpose, the soup was really good and a nice consistency too .

Back
Top Bottom