Question about a recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I was looking to fix a seafood oriental soup tonight and came accross this recipe.Simply Seafood I just use the clam juice it seems like that would be awefully strong and I don't know if I can find any fish stock, but I'm going to check. I don't have any shrimp shells to make my own either. Does anyone have any ideas or other recipes that might good as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of things to start with (1) the link needs to be edited either by you Abj or anyone wanting to read the recipe by removing 'if' at the end of the link, and (2) tip 5 is missing in the recipe.

The clam juice is a flavour that I wouldn't be able to place as I have only had them once and they were canned. If you can't get fish stock, you could use a light chicken stock or just water. The salmon is being poached in the liquid and then taken out to the bowls. You are therefore making a fish stock however weak. Bring that process to the front of the recipe if you like. And you don't need to make fish stock from shrimp shells. Just get some fish heads or wings and boil them. For ease though, I would try chicken stock, or water and chicken stock. To my Western eye, it looks like a Westernised Asian soup anyway so the chicken stock should be okay. Hope that helps.

I agree, it would probably be fine with chicken stock.
Check your grocery store, in the drink mixer area perhaps, for
small cans of clam juice, and use less... "to taste."

Perhaps a couple tablespoons of fish sauce would be a good substitute too....

BTW, thanks for the question... that recipe looks tasty! :)

I use clam juice when I make cioppino and it is wonderful..I don't find it that strong..But I have added chicken stock to it when I don't have enough clam juice on hand..They seem to blend well.
kadesma

Thanks, I was thinking vegetable stock might work, but I think I'll try the chicken and add a bit of the juice to taste. I have never really used clam juice before so I wanted your opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom