Really hearty soups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seuppa Valpellinese: Baked Bread & Cabbage Soup

:chef: Buon Giorno,

This thick, stew like soup or seuppa, as locals call it includes Fontina Cheese, a quintessential regional product ... Here is the simple hearty recipe which comes from the Italian Alpine northwest province of Valle d´Aosta where I stayed at a 13th century Inn, Locanda La Clusaz in the hamlet of Gignod.

:yum: SEUPPA VALPELLINESE ... baked bread & cabbage soup ...

1 POUND OF GREEN CABBAGE, HALVED AND SLICED

1/4 cup butter, room temperature

3 3x5 inch slices of day old bread ( Italian style baguette ) each about 1/2 inch thick halved

3 3x5 inch slices of day old country whole wheat style bread each about 1/2 inch thick halved

8 ounces of Fontina Cheese ( One can sub Provolone or Swiss Gruyère )

3 cups of Home made Beef Stock

1. preheat the oven to 350 fareneheit degrees
2. cook cabbage in large pot of boiling water until tender, 3 minutes
3. butter both sides of all bread slices
4. working in batches, fry bread in large skillet over medium heat until golden brown about 2 mins. per side
5. arrange half of the bread on bottom of a 10 cup soufflè dish, trimming bread to fit and top bread with half the cabbage
6. sprinkle with salt and freshly grinded black pepper
7. add half the cheese and repeat layering of bread, cabbage, salt and freshly ground black pepper
8. sprinkle nutmeg over
9. pour beef stock over bread mixture and bake until the top is golden about 40 minutes and let stand 10 minutes before serving ...

Enjoy, :chef:
Have nice wkend,
Ciao. Margi Cintrano.

You might like this we enjoy it even in summer with a small greel salad and lots of warm Italian or French bread and butter. Peel and quarter about 1 lb. oflarge potatoes, and combine them with 2 leeks cut julienned and well rinsed. Put in a large sauce pan. Bring to boil over high heat. Season with salt and pepper reduce heat and gently simmer til veggies are soft. about 35 to 40 min. Puree your soup with blend, or stick blender Return to saucepan and stir in Creme Fraiche and cook over low heat til soup is heated through. Taste for seasonings the garnish with 3-4 tab. of fresh chopped tarragon.
kadesma

Sprout started making soups by combining canned veggies, with the can liquor, and then adding a bit of meat, and seasonings. They always came out great. She fresh ingredients, but, when you're first learning to put flavors together, and don't have all day to make a soup, this works.

Last night, I combined a can of white hominy with 2 cups of super-flavorful broth from some smoked, pulled pork, and added about 1 ear's worth of sweet corn kernels to balance a little sweet with the savory. I added about 1/8th cup of uncooked orzo to thicken it, and add body. Seasonis were simply the smoky broth, which was already seasoned with salt, and freshly ground black pepper. It was very tasty, hearty, and easy to amke, all in about 20 minutes worth of time.

Hint: When thinking full-bodied soups, think broths/stock with lots of collagen, and good leftovers. Add texture and nutrition by adding whole grain pasta, or pearl barley, steel cut oats, or other grains. Make sure that there is chopped, or sliced onion in there. I know of few soups that don't benefit from the addition of onion (except cold, fruity soups).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Does anyone have any recipe that they could share with me for hearty soups or stews? I made beef bourguignon but it was more of stew than a soup. I'm looking for soups that are almost as hearty as beef bourguignon and is more of a meal than a soup, but is still considered a soup. I'll take some hearty stew recipes too. :)

Hi SuperIronChef, Rather than listing a recipe, how about I show you step-by-step how I prepare one of my all time favorite "hearty" soups; Clam Chowder!!

Clam Chowder-I;
Clam Chowder-I | myBrainshark

Clam Chowder-II;
Clam Chowder-II | myBrainshark

Hope this helps..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom