REC - Simple Potato Leek Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErikC

Senior Cook
I am not sure if this has been posted before, but this is a very simple but tasty soup that has saved me countless times. Not only is it easy to make, but it can also be the start of something "fancier" if you want. Elegant enough for a fine dining starter, but simple enough that the kids will enjoy it too!

4 cups diced potato
3 cups thinly sliced leeks or diced onion
2 quarts water
1 tbsp salt.

Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for about an hour. Puree. For an extra little bit of flavor, add a dab of butter (also gives it a really nice "sheen").

I usually add a bit of tarragon, but there are so many ways to vary this soup that there is no way to mention them all. Adding or substituting other veggies, such as carrots, yams, sweet potatoes or squash works well. Watercress is another terrific addition, although it can be tough to find in some places.

Also, this recipe can be chilled and fortified with a bit of heavy cream to make a vichyssoise.

Not really, since in most potato recipes the issue is how much moisture they have. As this is going to be bathed in moisture, there is not much difference in the end.

However, for flavor you might want to stick with larger, older potatoes, as they have had time to develop a little more starch. I have had success with smaller potatoes, though, but I hate peeling them:). Larger potatoes are so much faster.

Potato and Leek soup is one of my favourite, if not THE favourite, soups! I do mine a tad differently. I lightly saute the sliced leeks until soft, then add chicken stock and the diced potatoes, cooking until the potatoes are soft. Season but gently on the salt as the chicken stock adds some salt to the dish. I also often add parsley and chives. Leave to cool for a while and then roughly pulverise with a stick blender. Add a little cream just before serving and reheat. Dust with paprika before serving.

For variations, I have added bacon, mushroom and sweet potato (individually and in combinations).

Short of burning the leeks or overseasoning, there isn't much you can do wrong with this soup!!

I haven't made potato and leek soup in a long time. I make mine similar to Bilby. I'll have to make some again soon.

I do mine similar as well, but use chicken stock in place of water, minced garlic, pepper, thyme and oregano.

I sweat a bunch of onions and some celery in butter..add diced potatoes a little water to just under the top of potatoes, cover and cook till tender, add evap milk or half and half. Oh i forgot..add dried crumbled celery leaves(salt and pepper too) when ya put in the potatoes..they really make it good. I dry my own leaves in the oven and store them in a jar to have on hand.
I use russets most of the time.

Last edited:
Wow...all great ideas! I used to use chicken stock in mine too, but I found that it took away from the delicate potato flavor. Perhaps with other ingredients in the soup it is not so overpowering.

Someone once asked me how can just potatoes and leeks taste good enough to make a soup. I replied that there is not a whole lot more than just potatoes and butter in mashed potatoes, and those are tasty enough;)

You say that Erik and it immediately reminded me that on one of those rare occasions that I make mash potato, I have been known to add some leeks to the mix as well. Very yum!!!!

Oddly, I had never considered doing that! Well, that's my next thing to try with mashed potatoes.

I have always considered mashed potatoes to be a great canvas to work on!

Think you might like them then. I got the idea on one occasion making the soup and I hadn't put enough stock in there and it was so thick!!! Just make sure the leeks are in small pieces otherwise it is like having mashed potato with leeks as opposed to having them through the mashed potato if you get my distinction.

I just made the soup for lunch. I used Wolfgang Puck's organic veggie broth in lieu of water. Turned out great. I also added dried dill to my bowl of soup since DH dislikes dill. It was great.

I bet the dill was great with it...I'll have to try that one next. And veggie broth would be really nice. Again, I am not crazy about using chicken stick with potato soup, as I think it overpowers it, but veggie would be light enough.

I use dill in my Borscht as well as salmon soup...other than that not much in soups, but you have convinced me to try it with the potato soup for sure.

Now, speaking of that Borscht, I sent you an e-mail thru your site, you really need to reconsider that recipe.

Ah, that was you! The email address you gave me was incomplete, so I could not answer. I think you are referencing the addition of lime?

If so, it's something that I like, and it really seems to work. But I agree it is hardly authentic: the closest limes would be in Greece, and I think there was limited importation from there back in the day. I will add a note on the page in question to state that it is simply something I like, and not "traditional".

Thanks for the input.

mmm, this sounds great and very inexpensive! We are having a soup swap (we all bring half gallon soup servings - enough for 8) and then we swap soups! We have done this for our cookie exchanges and exchanges are great fun! I am in a Moms Group and I hope they like this recipe - I think I might make my own veggie stock and add half stock and half water :)

Thanks again!

Tara

Wow!!!!
Cool that there is something one can make with so few ingredients.

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom