Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apple, Cinnamon and Sage Croutons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik

Sous Chef
This is on the menu for Thanksgiving:
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apple, Cinnamon and Sage Croutons

Ingredients
2 tablespoons Butter
1 each sweet Onion, diced ½"
2 stalks Celery, diced ½"
1 teaspoon Garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons Thyme, fresh, chopped
1 teaspoon Sage, fresh, chopped
1 teaspoon Mustard, dry
6 cups water, Chicken stock or Vegetable stock
2 cups Butternut Squash, roasted
1 each Potato, peeled and diced ½"
1 cup Apple Juice
2 each Cinnamon Stick
¼"cup Half and Half
To taste: Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For the garnish:
1 teaspoon Sage, fresh, chopped fine
¼"cup Sour Cream
1 tablespoon Apple Juice
¼"cup toasted Croutons with Butter and Sage

Directions: To roast the Butternut Squash, cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, place the squash cut side down on a lightly oiled sheet pan. Roast in a 375º degree oven for 25 - 35 minutes or until brown and slightly soft. Cool to room temperature and scoop out the meat of the squash and puree it in a food processor. Reserve until ready to use (Can be made a day in advance and refrigerated). Heat butter in a 4 quart pot. Add the onions, garlic and potatoes, cook over medium heat, stirring often, until translucent. Add the thyme, mustard and cinnamon stick, cook 1 - 2 minutes to release the flavors. Add the squash puree, apple juice and water or stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the half and half and season with salt and pepper to taste. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
To garnish the soup, mix the sour cream with the chopped sage and apple juice, pour into a squeeze bottle, and the toasted croutons. And a fresh sage leaf Serves 8

Think I saw this recipe on the internet, and it does sound very good. Have you tried it?

I just made a similar recipe to yours, and froze it for Turkey day - one more thing I can scratch off my list! I didn't add the cream, though; will wait and do that last minute.

Great!

One of my family just mentioned eating this kind of soup for lunch. Now I have the recipe I can surprise him and he can eat at home. Hope I make it right. Thank you.

What a lovely recipe, I really like the addition of sage and apple juice, those are both neat twists. I bet this would work nicely with pumpkin as well.

This looks delicious!

I'm all for saving steps and I love roasted vegs, so what if the potato, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, sage and maybe even a couple of apples were roasted in the oven along with the squash? Um, tossed in the butter before roasting?

What you think?

Lee

Back
Top Bottom