Roasted garlic soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
This is for the garlic lovers.....;)

This is my own creation, so measurements may not be exact.

This makes enough for 4 servings.

Start with 2 full bulbs of garlic. Seperate the cloves, but leave in the skins. Drizzle olive oil, a small dash of red pepper flakes and a small dash of thyme over the cloves. Wrap in foil, loosely, and bake at 350 for an hour.

Sauté a diced carrot, diced stalk of celery and 1/4 cup diced onion in the bottom of a small stock pot with a couple of T. olive oil. Don't let it burn, keep moving it around until the vegetables start to caramelize. Remove the garlic from the oven and squeeze the soft cloves from the skins, into the pot of vegetables.

Add half a chopped, seeded tomato and sauté for another minute or two. Add two cups white wine and 5 cups of chicken stock, along with 1/2 c. heavy cream. Simmer for an hour, until the vegetables are very soft.

If you have an immersion blender, remove the pot from the stove and blend the soup till there are no solids left. If not, strain the soup and puree the vegetables in a food processor. Return the puree to the soup, and simmer for another 15 minutes.

While the soup is cooking, chop 2 large tomatoes. Toss the tomatoes with a T of pesto, a T of olive oil, a t. of cracked black pepper and a T. of grated parmesan cheese. Bake this for 20 minutes at 350.

When you serve the soup, put a thick slice of day old or lightly toasted italian bread in the bowl. Ladle the hot soup over the bread. Top the bread with the chopped, oven roasted tomatoes. Sprinkle fresh parsely around the bread.

This may be the epitome of comfort soups.....:chef:

I'm so pleased you think it looks good. It tasted wonderful. I'm thinking of adding a poached egg on top of the bread, before adding the roasted tomatoes, next time. Done that way, it's a whole meal, nothing but a glass of wine necessary.

Again, I'm glad you like it. Hope you enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom