Rocklobster's Tex Mex Chicken Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Here is a soup I make regularly in the deli..it has a bit of cumin and chili powder to give it a Southwestern flavor..I'm not good at ingredient amounts so, proceed as you would with any vegetable/rice soup depending on the size of pot you want to make..lol

lg onion
green and/or red pepper
carrots
celery
garlic
frozen corn
can of black beans
can of diced to tomatoes
chicken stock, or water with powdered chicken base
chicken meat
cooked rice (1-2 cups)
ground cumin
Mexican chili powder
oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Coarsely chop all veg, add to pot with all of the ingredients except the cooked rice..bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or vegetables are tender..add rice and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes..adjust seasoning with salt and pepper or more powdered soup base..That should do it..enjoy!

Attachments

• 83935456_667374277331269_3813687009000554496_n.jpg
    83935456_667374277331269_3813687009000554496_n.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Sounds good Roch. What differentiates Mexican chili powder from regular chili powder?
Well, good question..Mexican chili spice is a blend of spices like cumin, coriander, garlic, oregano, paprika....there are different versions..up here, anyway..things are probably different in the US and even more so in the South West..but, I deal with what I have up here..
This is a common supermarket brand you can get..

Attachments

• club_house_chili_powder_hot_600.jpg
    club_house_chili_powder_hot_600.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Nice looking soup. Very Tex-Mex sounding recipe.

Like Rock said, Chili powder is a blend of dried and ground chilis, and other herbs and spices. People argue over whether is was invented in Mexico or Texas. I don't know -- don't care.

I use a lot of Fiesta Brand Tex-Mex seasonings and dried peppers. They are good, and easily available in North Texas.

https://www.fiestaspices.com

BTW, if a recipe calls for Mexican oregano, try to get some. It does taste different. I'm not sure how to describe the difference, but I can taste it.

CD

I know what chili powder is. I was just wondering if there was something special or different about Mexican chili powder.

I know what chili powder is. I was just wondering if there was something special or different about Mexican chili powder.
I've always wondered the difference, myself..It can be just powdered chilis...or a blend, which is what I call Mexican..not sure why..I just do..when I first started cooking back in the 70's I just figured it was powder to make chili with..:LOL:But, as I grew up 2,000 miles from anything Tex, let alone Mex, I'm sure I have it all back asswords..

Last edited:

The only thing I can think of is any difference that comes from where the chilis, herbs and spices are grown. Being a blend, I'm guessing that every brand of chili powder you buy could be a little bit different.

CD

The only thing I can think of is any difference that comes from where the chilis, herbs and spices are grown. Being a blend, I'm guessing that every brand of chili powder you buy could be a little bit different.

CD

Yeah, I assume that they vary. We won't be buying more chili powder. We will make our own. I don't want salt or anti-clumping agents in my spice blends. And, if we make our own, we can tweak it to our own taste.

I make a lot of my own herb/spice blends. Just made up a generous amount of chili spice by pulling the ingredients I thought would work from three different on-line recipes to create my own. Then I turned around and used 1/4 cup of my chili spice blend as part of the components for my taco mix. It took me way longer to mix all the seasonings for the two jars than it did for me to make our taco salads. :LOL:

casey, I know what you mean about Mexican oregano having a different flavor than Italian/Greek oregano. My impression of the two is that the Mediterranean oregano is more florally, while the Mexican one is "dustier". I hope that makes sense...:ermm:

casey, I know what you mean about Mexican oregano having a different flavor than Italian/Greek oregano. My impression of the two is that the Mediterranean oregano is more florally, while the Mexican one is "dustier". I hope that makes sense...:ermm:

That makes perfect sense and is how I would describe it also..

Ross

The Mexican chile powder we get at the grocery is spicier than the regular chile powder blend.

Back
Top Bottom