Sausage And Cabbage Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
This is really good!!

12 oz. turkey sausage (or kielbasa)
2 tsp. oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek halved lengthways and thinly sliced
2 carrots halved and thinly sliced
14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
12 oz. young green cabbage, cored and coarsely shredded
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
pinch of dried thyme
6 1/4 cups fresh chicken or meat stock
salt and pepper
top with Parmesan

NOTE: I did not have any fresh chicken or meat stock so I used about 1 TBS of chicken base. You can also use 1 bouillon cube - but only use 1.

Slice and sauté sausages in your pot. When almost done add the onion, leek, and carrots and cook about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. When onions begin to soften add your can of tomatoes and use the liquid from that to deglaze the pan being sure to get up all the brown collected on the bottom of the pot. Then add cabbage, garlic, and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook gently, partially covered, for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.

Taste soup, adjust seasonings, and serve with cheese for topping.

Sounds terrific Elf!
I do a similair one....but without tomatoes, and with about a cup of diced potatoes, sautee the onions with about a half cup of diced bacon, and just cut the cabbage into 8ths. The rest of the recipe is the same. It's wonderful on cold day, served with cornbread muffins.
I got my recipe from an old episode of The Frugal Gourmet,Jeff Smith, and he also did one like yours on the same show. I kinda miss that show!

I miss that show too. I watched it every time it was on. It is a recipe that can be altered with a bunch of different things isn't it? I made it about 2 weeks ago. We still eat soup, even in the summer.:cool:

I can see putting tubetti pasta in it for a more filling soup, or some Navy beans, and the list goes on...........

Back
Top Bottom