Seeking gazpacho for the soul this summer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
now that we have survived yet another rapture, and with summer just up ahead, my thoughts turn to hot weather...and gazpacho soup--the poor man's a/c. i've had some superb gazpachos in my day, and in some very unlikely places, too. but this summer, i would like to try my hand at making my very own batch of it. while friends might tell you it's simply a matter of emptying your pantry shelves, my suspicion is that this lovely brew actually requires a combination of certain crucial ingredients, many tastings, and a very fine balancing act. can someone point me in the right direction, maybe offer some helpful dos and don'ts in putting this concoction together?

while friends might tell you it's simply a matter of emptying your pantry shelves, my suspicion is that this lovely brew actually requires a combination of certain crucial ingredients, many tastings, and a very fine balancing act.

There is very little from a pantry that goes into gazpacho. If the ingredients aren't very fresh and high quality it's not worth making.

Gazpacho is very easy to make, there are no crucial ingredients or balancing acts. There are red ones, white ones, spicy ones, ones with bread and without.

Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, parsley, bread, olive oil and sherry vinegar is a traditional Spanish version, but there are a million riffs on it with other vegetables like peppers, scallions, zucchini, grapes, cilantro, basil, lime or lemon, almonds, etc.

Try a google search

My favorite is one we serve at work. Start wit low sodium tomato Juice add finely chopped veggies, lime, black pepper, and fresh cilantro all to taste. The chopped veggies are as follows, in order from most to least (I don't have an exact recipe, but with each ingredient, use about half as much as the previous ingredient) Cucumber, fresh tomato, red bell pepper, red onion Periodically we serve it with fresh mango or cantaloupe added. I like it with the mango, and it's ok with the cantaloupe, but prefer it plain. The cantaloupe mellows the flavor quite a bit and I love the tang! I add extra lime to mine. Not the most traditional, but it's very refreshing and nutritious.

My favorite is one we serve at work. Start wit low sodium tomato Juice add finely chopped veggies, lime, black pepper, and fresh cilantro all to taste. The chopped veggies are as follows, in order from most to least (I don't have an exact recipe, but with each ingredient, use about half as much as the previous ingredient) Cucumber, fresh tomato, red bell pepper, red onion Periodically we serve it with fresh mango or cantaloupe added. I like it with the mango, and it's ok with the cantaloupe, but prefer it plain. The cantaloupe mellows the flavor quite a bit and I love the tang! I add extra lime to mine. Not the most traditional, but it's very refreshing and nutritious.

Add a hit of white tequila!

I make mine like this, peel and de-seed very ripe large toms, rip up stale sourdough bread, chops lots of garlic up, put everything in a large bowl add lots of salt and pepper, cover leave for a few hours then blitz with a stick blender adding Evoo at the same time till you get a good consistency season with sherry vinegar to taste and chill.
You should get enough liquid from the toms and evoo to make it soupy if not add a little water or cold pre boiled chicken stock.
I fry up cube of chorizo picante take them out of the pan to cool the fry cubes of the same stale bread in the oil left by the chorizo and sprinkle both on top of the soup.

I have a large bowl of gazpacho in my refrigerator. I like to let it sit for a day or two before I serve it. What do you all have with your gazpacho?

I like to take fresh chopped fruits and vegetable, ripe tomatoes, english cucumbers, onions, peppers, chilies, garlic and whatever else, add a little sherry vinegar, or some citrus, a bit of salt and let sit for a bit. I then run half the batch through a blender, and recombine it. Season and add some chopped herbs like basil, mint, chives, or whatever you like. Mixed with some yogurt it can make a nice creamy variety. I have never had success using bread, but I'm sure people that know how to do it right have.

Living alone, I make a simple gazpacho by adding chunky salsa to V8 or tomato juice along with a little Worcestershire, lemon and cayenne.

It satisfies the craving and I don't have to end up with a gallon at a time.:LOL:

Living alone, I make a simple gazpacho by adding chunky salsa to V8 or tomato juice along with a little Worcestershire, lemon and cayenne.

It satisfies the craving and I don't have to end up with a gallon at a time.:LOL:

oooh yeah - add a rib of leafy celery, a jigger of vodka, and you're ready for the weekend....

now that sounds like something i could do. and sounds good to boot!

It is good, and so convenient. I can make a bowl or cup anytime. I like using Walmart's Great Value salsa. It's cheap, chunky and comes in mild, medium or hot.

I puree up leftover panzanella salad with a little bit of dill. Last year we added a couple radishes for a nice peppery kick. Yum! Hurry up tomatoes!

Easy to do at work, too! Yum, thanks Z!

We were watching one of the public TV stations this past weekend and saw Hubert Keller make this recipe. Haven't tried it yet but it sure looked good and we do intend to try it later on. It was a cocktail party foods show.

Green Grape and Almond Gazpacho
2 English cucumbers, peeled
1/2 lb green grapes
1 shallot
1 cup whole milk yogurt
2 cloves garlic, peeled
4 oz almond flour
3 Tbsp sherry vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil

Optional: Vanilla Oil

Slice cucumbers in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds that run through the middle of the cucumber. Slice the seeded cucumber into 3- to 4-ince pieces.

In a food processor or blender, combine the cucumber, grapes, shallot, yogurt, garlic, flour, vinegar, olive oil, and ¼ cup water. Blend until smooth.

Pour mixture into miniature martini glasses or shot glasses. top with 5-6 drops of vanilla oil and a frozen grape skewered on a toothpick.

Vanilla Oil: Cut a vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the podes from the center with a knife. Combine the vanilla pods with a neutral oil such as grapeseed and let the mixture sit for 3 days to develop flavor. Strain before using to remove the vanilla pods and place into a squeeze bottle.

Back
Top Bottom