Sorrel soup - Perfect for hot summer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MilaNY

Assistant Cook
Sorrel soup (borsch) - Perfect for summer when hot.

I like this soup so much that would like to share the recipe with you.

It origins from Ukraine (a small country in Europe) and ppl cook this soup mostly in late spring-summer. It's rather light, sour and good when served both - hot and cold.

For the soup you'll need:
1-2 quart water (or low-sodium chicken broth)
1-2 medium potatoes
1 fresh egg
1 bunch sorrel (wash thoroughly as there might be lots of sand in it)
3-4 whole green onions
fresh dill to taste
salt, 3-4 whole black peppers

served with sour cream or plain yogurt

I gave "1-2 quarts water" because you can vary thickness of the soup. I like when it's more watery (almost drinkable)

Cooking process:
1. peel, cut potato
2. Bring water (broth) to a boil and add potatoes, whole black peppers and cook covered until mashable. Add 0,5 tsp of salt if using water.
3. Cut sorrel leaves, green onions and dill.
4. When potatoes are ready mash them slightly (not removing from the pot) and add cut sorrel and onion. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.
5. Slightly beat 1 egg with 1 tbsp cold water.
6. Constantly stirring the soup pour egg mixture and continue to stir for 10 seconds more. Bring soup to a boil, taste and add salt if needed.
7. Add cut dill, bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and let stand 20-30 minutes before serving.

Serve hot, warm or cold with a tbsp of sour cream or plain yogurt.

The next day this soup tastes even better! :)

Substitution idea for sorrel:
bunch of fresh spinach + 2-3 tbsp of freshly-squeezed lemon juice for sourness.

Last edited:
TY for the recipe Mila and it sounds good but I doubt I can get sorrel any place in Tampa. :(

IcyMist, (going to Miami on Wed. need a bunch? :LOL: )
here it's sometimes called Sour Grass or Sour Kress.
I've been looking for it since May here in NY and it appeared on store "greens" shelves and farmers markets only a week ago. I was SO HAPPY! :rolleyes: i usually just taste one of leaves which look alike and only sorrel tastes sour.

I thought that such problem exists only in places like our city (as there's not that much of ppl who cook anything at all).

Substitution idea:
bunch of fresh spinach + 2-3 tbsp of freshly-squeezed lemon juice.

Oooh I can get spinach. :) I absolutely love spinach any way its fixed. Raw in a salad, in soup, sandwich, any way at all. :) :)

That might work.
I've heared that many ppl in US used spinach+lemon juice instead of sorrel in that soup and it worked. :)

You may also make this soup on a base of homemade beef or veal bouilion.

Back
Top Bottom