Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: soup

HELP!!! I just burned the bottom of the fresh chicken vegetable soup I've been "creating" all morning! Now, the whole stock tastes "smoky". Is there ANYTHING I can do to remove the taste? It had such incredible potential!

ironchef said:
Here's some that I do at work. Let me know which one u want:

Roasted Kabocha Pumpkin and Ginger Soup with Crispy Leeks and Creme Fraiche

Roasted Garlic Soup with Iranian Osetra Caviar and Truffle Essence

Savoy Cabbage and Pancetta Soup with Caramelized Red Onion and Hominy "Crostini"

Wild Mushroom Chowder with Speck and Porcini Essence

Gingered-Tomato "Manhattan" Seafood Chowder with Atlantic Salmon, Prince Edward Island Mussels, and Manila Clams

I don't think there's anything you can do to remove the burned flavour. You could however add some curry to it + cream if it's not already creamy. The curry should cover up the smoky taste.

Ironchef, I can get some wonderful wild mushrooms on a regular basis and would love to have your recipe. All of them seem delicious and you make it really hard to choose!

Janet - I hope it's not too late but DO NOT STIR YOUR SOUP - pour into a new pot and do not touch the burned spot on the bottom - place chunks of whole onion skins on top of the soup and let them sit there for awhile. When I have burned rice this has always worked - it leaves only a slight "onion flavor" to the rice and in the soup I know it won't hurt the flavor. The key is to not stir it - just pour into a new pot - place skins on top - wait about an hour I guess - see if that helps - other than that I'm not sure what to do.

burnt soup answers

Kitchenelf- I'm off to add the onion skins to the top of the soup pot. I actually didn't stir it, not knowing what the remedy might be. I sure hope it works! It was about 12 hours in the "simmering" - it's actually the risotto that I added during the last 30-40 minutes that burned, I believe. When I take the top off, I'll find out for sure, but regardless, thank you very much!! :D

I bet it was the risotto - it probably sunk to the bottom. Be sure and pour out into a new pot first. Let me know if it helped at all - I'm curious.

If you want to try other ethnic soups there is a delightful site with all kinds of different recipes. BTW the curried mussels sound wonderful. I have some mild yet flavorful curry that would be great to use in it.

Here is the site:

http://www.soupsong.com/index.html

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Tracy - hope you stick around and join in with a recipe or two of your own. Thanks for the soups too. 8)

Thanks. Most of my soup recipes are altered recipes that I have usually obtained from the net or cookbooks. I generally make changes as I go along, so I usually never know the quantities of the ingredients I use. However the other night I made lentil soup and remember the quantities of the ingredients. It is probably the simplest soup I've prepared for a while and it easy to throw together at the end of a work day. The person who gave me the recipe is from lebanon and used to have a cafe here in No. Ca., DH loved her soup too and liked mine as well. I used my crock pot for cooking the lentils. Eventually I'd like to perfect it so I can have lentil soup for my lunches.

1 c. dried brown lentils
1 1/2 c. stock veggie or chicken
1 tbls. olive oil (I use very little but use olive oil spray instead)
1 chopped onion
1 diced stalk celery
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. toasted Cumin seeds
Ground Cumin (approx. 2 teaspoons) and fresh ground pepper to taste
Juice of one lemon

Cook lentils and stock 6 hrs. in crockpot (low setting).
Saute veggies and cumin seed till they sweat and are soft. Put veggies and lentils with broth in a 1 or 2 quart pot. Puree with hand blender (or regular blender) until smooth then adjust seasoning. Stir in lemon juice just before serving. Makes 4 servings, I think, DH ate all but one cup, so I don't know the exact amount :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom