Soup Base - Who Uses It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Anyone use soup base from a jar to start the soup ? I like "Better Than Bouillion" for when I don't have fresh ingredients on hand or don't have the patience to start completely from scratch. I have used the chicken base, the beef base and the vegetable base.

I use canned broths when I don't have home made. I sometimes add a spoon or two of beef or chicken base to boost the flavor of a dish. I use Minor's bases I buy at BJs.

I frequently use Swanson's Chicken broth when I'm out of homemade for soup. I also use it in all sorts of different recipes, & also just as a nice cup of broth to enjoy on a cold afternoon instead of tea. I LOVE the cartons for their convenience. I just mark on the carton when I opened it, & if I haven't used it up within 14 days, I either freeze what's left or, if it's just a tiny bit, add it to the dogs' food.

Although I haven't tried it yet, the other day one of our local markets had cartons of "Mushroom Broth", which I think would be VERY interesting to experiment with. I've made my own mushroom broth several times for vegetarian vegetable soups, but I still plan on trying the carton to see how it compares.

I use canned broths when I don't have home made. I sometimes add a spoon or two of beef or chicken base to boost the flavor of a dish. I use Minor's bases I buy at BJs.

I have canned broths too. I'm not a member at BJ's , hubby does not want to spend the money for membership there since we have Sam's Club.

I frequently use Swanson's Chicken broth when I'm out of homemade for soup. I also use it in all sorts of different recipes, & also just as a nice cup of broth to enjoy on a cold afternoon instead of tea. I LOVE the cartons for their convenience. I just mark on the carton when I opened it, & if I haven't used it up within 14 days, I either freeze what's left or, if it's just a tiny bit, add it to the dogs' food.

Although I haven't tried it yet, the other day one of our local markets had cartons of "Mushroom Broth", which I think would be VERY interesting to experiment with. I've made my own mushroom broth several times for vegetarian vegetable soups, but I still plan on trying the carton to see how it compares.
I have seen the Mushroom Broth , have not bought it yet.

You can find Minor's in other stores. I'm not saying you have to use Minor's. I use the Better Than Boullion brand of veggie base for in the brine for my Thanksgiving turkey.

I always have chicken and beef base at home. I use Minors like Andy and I also get it at BJ's, but it can be found other places. I have seen it online as well.

I use it when I do not want to open a whole carton of stock or when I want a stronger tasting stock or liquid.

I have canned broths too. I'm not a member at BJ's , hubby does not want to spend the money for membership there since we have Sam's Club.

I use beef and chicken base also to boost the flavor. I get mine at Sam's Club. It's in the spice isle. It's made by Tone's

Speaking of soup bases, has anyone here tried the jarred granulated ones that Penzey's offers? They have quite a selection - chicken, beef, seafood, ham, etc., etc. I've been tempted, particularly for the seafood, but haven't bought yet.

Speaking of soup bases, has anyone here tried the jarred granulated ones that Penzey's offers? They have quite a selection - chicken, beef, seafood, ham, etc., etc. I've been tempted, particularly for the seafood, but haven't bought yet.

No, but I've used their chicken base in a paste form. I thought it was very sweet. It's the only thing from Penzey's that I have been disappointed in.

Like GB and Andy, I use Minor's from BJ's.

I have not seen the granulated from Penzys, but like Jenny have tried their paste type. It was actually my first experience with base. I like Minors better.

In the absence of homemade stock ... I, too, use bases to boost the flavor of canned broths - or as a substitute if I don't have any canned or boxed, or if I just need a little not worth opening a can or box for.

As for the really thick paste types - I like Gourmet Award and Better Than Bullion.

I agree with America's Test Kitchen's tasting survey that the boxed Swanson's was better than any of the canned. However, I tried the Walmart brand (Great Value) and liked it even better!

Knorr used to make a variety of bullion cubes in addition to the usual beef, chicken, vegetable (fish, lamb, pork) and liquid contrated "essences" (chicken and beef were the only ones I remember seeing) that I haven't seen in several years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Michael. I do most of my regular food shopping at WalMart, & while I've bought many of their own brand products, have never tried the chicken broth. Will have to give it a whirl.

As for the Knorr cubes, I do have a package of their "fish" bouillion cubes that I haven't tried yet. Don't remember what market I picked it up from.

I use base in alot of things beside soup or a broth ingredient. I put the end of a teaspoon of chicken base in corn instead of butter. I use a taste of beef base in my ground beef for chili. It really brings out the flavor of the other ingredients. Add chicken base to cauliflower or broccoli while they are steaming for dinner. For veggie dip, mix some beef base (to taste) in sour cream and add chopped onion. Delicious!
I am with a couple others about trying the mushroom base. I havent seen that one and I bet it is really good. I'll report back!

Breezy - another tip .... beef broth generally only goes on sale between Thanksgiving and Christmas (about 1/2 the price or less than during the rest of the year).

Last year Walmart had the boxed beef broth for $1. I bought a case (24 boxes). I had to rework my food budget ... but it has been worth it. They also has chicken broth for 2/$1 - got a case of them, too!

Minor's chicken and lobster base has been for a long time one of my secret ingredients that I use at work. I use the chicken to add a nice savory flavor to cream sauces and soups, even if they're not labeled as "chicken soup." In fact, a little Minor's chicken base dissolved in some mushroom or tomato bisque really brings up the flavors.

The main reason why bases work so well is because not only are they concentrated flavors, but they also contain Mono-Sodium-Glutamate (MSG). This is why it works so well as a secret ingredient. Hidden Valley ranch packets also work really well for the same reason.

The main reason why bases work so well is because not only are they concentrated flavors, but they also contain Mono-Sodium-Glutamate (MSG). .

Actually most of the Minors I see around is the NO MSG type. That's the variety that I use.

I haven't seen the kind with MSG for ages.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom