Soup Pot Luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
We’ve got some group and family dinners coming up and some like to be very casual. So I got to thinking what about a soup pot luck everyone brings a pot or slow cooker and a ladle. Each person gets a mug and a spoon or coffee cup and plastic spoon if you hate even simple dishes.

As people meander and mingle they grab a scoop of this or that. Seems simple, casual, delicious and still packed with a variety of foods. Thoughts?

Your idea for a soup party sounds great for everyone.

Dx went across the street to a neighbor's annual pumpkin carving and soup supper last weekend. Neighbor likes to provide 4-5 soups herself and everyone brings something else to go with. Dx brought her pumpkin and a pan of still warm cornbread I baked. The only soups I remember Dx commented on were some chili, a butternut squash soup and a noodle veggie soup that she says was not minestrone. Not very specific is this, but the party lasted all late afternoon and evening, so an enjoyable time.

Like the idea, not crazy about eating soup with a plastic spoon. Perhaps, if you could find some large plastic spoons.

CD

I've done this with the local Woman's Club, a choir group, a cast party, and a neighborhood gathering. It's always a hit. Just make sure anyone driving to your place with a crock of soup has the lid on securely and the pot stabilized in a box on the floor. :ermm: Just sayin'...

Oh, and plastic spoons and soup? Nope. If you don't want to wash "real" spoons, just have everyone bring their own? :D

I like this idea, too. I'd suggest getting a bunch of soup spoons at a thrift store. When we used to entertain a lot, I got a dozen mismatched wine glasses for a dollar apiece. I also bought a few sets of cutlery for probably about a quarter apiece when we were running low at work.

Make sure a few people sign up to make bread :yum:

I've done this with the local Woman's Club, a choir group, a cast party, and a neighborhood gathering. It's always a hit. Just make sure anyone driving to your place with a crock of soup has the lid on securely and the pot stabilized in a box on the floor. :ermm: Just sayin'...
My Instant Pot works great for this. It's tall, so stuff doesn't splash out easily. I can lock on the pressure cooker lid for the drive and replace it with a glass lid for the event.

I now have a slow cooker with a clamp down lid, in case I ever transport soup again. Still gonna put it in a box, though, for sudden stops. You never know when a deer/fox/Masshole driver is going to dart in front of the car. One must prepare for sudden stops around here...

I’m all for a big handled ceramic mug and a soup spoon all fits in the dishwasher easy

I like the idea because I love soups. However, I'd be concerned with spillage with a whole bunch of people walking around with cups of hot liquid. Especially if alcohol was also being served.

So, if someone wants to host a Soup Pot Luck and invite, that'd be great.:angel:

My Instant Pot works great for this. It's tall, so stuff doesn't splash out easily. I can lock on the pressure cooker lid for the drive and replace it with a glass lid for the event.
+1 on the Instant Pot.

I like the idea.

This opens up wonderful possibilities. You might want to make creamy soups with lots of body as they are harder to slosh around and spill. Think split pea soup, either Canadian style for a change of pace, or regular green split pea with ham chunks, maybe a cauliflower soup, made by cooking cauliflower, then blending it into a creamy, silky smooth soup. Just add butter, and herbs, and spices. Chowders would also be great. And as someone is bound to have pumpkin, a winter squash, or pumpkin soup would be great.

Besides, in the kitchen, you are a rock star. I'm looking to you telling us what was served, and how it all turned out. And I also agree that great bread is a must have, maybe with a good pate', and fruit spreads. Wish icould be there.

Along the lines of pot lucks, here are a few that have worked flor us:

Lasagna pot luck
stew pot luck
Pizza Pot luck
Pork Pot Luck
BBQ pot luck
Baked Beans and fixin's pot luck
Pie pot luck (both savory and sweet pies)
Breads and sandwich fillings pot luck (deli meats and cheeses)

This time of year, with the cooler temps, your soup pot luck is perfect.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like the idea of a soup potluck as well but you might have some folks bring bread and dessert as well.

On an aside I’d like to say thanks for the inspiration. I’m very into roast chicken and beef soups but stray away from pork. However I have a whole whack of pork breast bones and other such types. We self butchered one this year and we’re not pros so I got all the bones with some meat on them.

If I roast those down like I would a soup bone or a rack of ribs I’d have a delicious base for a potato or squash soup or anything really.

Thanks again

On an aside I’d like to say thanks for the inspiration. I’m very into roast chicken and beef soups but stray away from pork. However I have a whole whack of pork breast bones and other such types. We self butchered one this year and we’re not pros so I got all the bones with some meat on them.

If I roast those down like I would a soup bone or a rack of ribs I’d have a delicious base for a potato or squash soup or anything really.

Thanks again
Posole comes to mind.

I love posole. I made some recently with a beautiful stock made from pork bones :wub:
Here's my recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/posole-verde-green-pork-and-hominy-stew-85123.html
0207172005a_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom