Soup Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a soup that I bet noe of you have tried, because I created it for one of my cookbooks. Before i give it to you, let me tell you a story of someone who made it, my daughter Sprout.

She decided to make this soup for the first time, for a pot luck. So she followed the directions, step by step. When all but the last few ingredients were cooked into the soup, she decided to taste it, just to see how it was coming along. She didn't like it. She was beginning to think that her dear old dad had created a flop.:ohmy: But she decided to add the last few ingredients, and give it a chance. After everything was in the soup, and had cooked long enough for the flavors to blend, she was very happy with the soup. The last ingredient she added was the cheese. This ingredient added the salt flavor that the soup needed. But if she had added the salt before adding the cheese, then, when it was added, it would have made the soup too salty. She reported this to me after the soup was made, and eaten by the pot luck group. She also told me that everyone thought it was great. Me, I was relieved that someone besides me liked the soup:LOL:.

Here it is, directly from my cookbook, in all of its strange glory.

Havarti with Tomato, Tofu, & Herbs Soup
Ready to try something new? I thought so. I'm going to introduce you to an ingredient that you would normally wouldn't eat. But when you use it in this soup, you will have a new appreciation for it.
But before I tell you what it is, I'm going to tell you something about it. It's high in protein, vitamins, minerals, isoflavones, and a host of other nutrients. Though it isn't fat free, it is low fat. It tends to capture the flavor of ingredients used with it. It has a rather bland flavor of its own, but is great for thickening creamy soups and fruit smoothies.
What is this miracle ingredient? I'm glad you asked. It is Silken-Firm Tofu. Now before you move on to the next recipe, remember, tofu has very little flavor of its own. In this soup, it is used as a thickening agent. The cheese, herbs, spices, and tomato provide all the flavor this soup can handle. Try it. Taste it and make your own decision. You just might be surprised.
Ingredients:
1 cup Grape or Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1 cup Silken Firm Tofu
2 cups Chicken Stock or Broth
2 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
2 tsp. Sweet Basil
1/8 tsp. Oregano
2 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Thyme
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
8 oz. Havarti Cheese, cubed into bite-size chunks
Heat the broth over a medium flame until simmering. Add the garlic, herbs, and spices. Blend in the tofu with a wire whisk or immersion blender until smooth. Add the tomatoes and let simmer for 15 minutes.
When the soup is served, add the cheese cubes to the bowls. Serve with your favorite gelatin flavor (jello) and some whipped cream.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What a great story and it seems a very interesting soup. To be very honest with you, I never had Havarti Cheese. What kind of cheese is it ?

Best wishes, Claire:)

Spinach Bean Soup

I got a recipe I like very much from my previous boss. It's a very simple soup and doesn't take long at all.

· 2 boxes frozen spinach
· 2 – 3 cans cannellini beans
· 1 pkg instant potatoes (optional) to thicken
· 2 cans of chicken broth, plus water as needed
· 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
· 1 tbsp grating cheese
· black pepper / red pepper flakes and salt to taste
· 2 tbls olive oil
· 1/3 c small pasta like acini pepe (optional)
·
Sauté garlic in olive oil in small soup pot till begins to brown.
Add broth and water, then 2 boxes of spinach.
Bring to a boil, simmer for 10 mins.
Add beans, cheese, salt and pepper, simmer for 10 mins.
Add potatoe flakes, continue simmering for another 5 mins.

It's vegetarian if you use veggie stock. You may add chicken or Italian Sausage if you like. Add crusty Italian bread, like I bake!!!!!

Last edited:
Havarti is a semi-soft, creamy cheese, with a medium sharpness, a little salty, very good. It melts beautifully, and is a great addition to grilled cheese, mac & cheese, or sliced on a cheese a fruit tray. It is one of the great cheeses. If you haven't tried it, you really need to.:chef:

Havarti is a semi-soft, creamy cheese, with a medium sharpness, a little salty, very good. It melts beautifully, and is a great addition to grilled cheese, mac & cheese, or sliced on a cheese a fruit tray. It is one of the great cheeses. If you haven't tried it, you really need to.:chef:

I will definitely give it a try, thank you:)

Back
Top Bottom