Soup Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovesoup

Assistant Cook
Hi,

My name is Claire and I recently moved from Amsterdam to London with my husband and 3 children. Last month I started a blog about soup; 52 recipes in 52 weeks.

Ever since I can remember soup has been such an important dish in my family that I simple love it and can't live without:yum:!
So I figured why not share my recipes, my mum's, grandmother but also from you if you have a favorite soup recipe.

If you would like to share your soup recipe with me and don't mind posting it to share with all soup lovers out there than please send me a post.

Have very, happy and healthy new years with lots of delicious soups:chef:

Welcome to DC, ilovesoup!

I too love soup and my mom made many wonderful soups. One of the soups she made quite often was Italian Wedding Soup. Here's the recipe:

Italian Wedding Soup

For the meatballs:
  • 1lb pound ground chicken
  • 2/3 cup fresh white bread crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Soup:
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 cup minced yellow onion
  • 3 carrots cut into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 2 stalks celery cut into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 10 cups homemade chicken stock
  • 3/4 cup small pasta such as orzo or stars
  • 12 ounces baby spinach, washed and trimmed
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the meatballs, place the ground chicken, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, milk, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl and combine gently. With a teaspoon or melon baller, drop 1 to 1 1/4-inch meatballs onto a pan lined with parchment paper. They don't have to be perfectly round. Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.

In the meantime, for the soup, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the pasta and simmer for another 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Taste for salt and pepper. Stir in the fresh spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the spinach is wilted. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle each serving with extra grated Parmesan

Thank You Littlechef

Dear Littlechef!

I think I prefer GREATchef now: wow this soup is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this mouth watering soup. It truly looks delicious and I can't wait to try it out and write about it on my blog.

If ok with you I would like to name this recipe after your mom. If you like the thought please give me her name and were you both are from. I always enjoy making the recipes a bit more personal and add a bit more information. Would you/she make this soup on special occasions or just whenever you/she felt like it?

Would you appreciate a little picture of you and you mom next to the recipe? Or would that be a bit to much? Of course I will be adding one of the soup as well.

Once again thank you for sharing and a :) 2012!

All the Best, Claire

My Grandmother’s Chicken Soup

Serves 6 people

Now that the outside temperatures are starting to drop and more and more people are starting to get a cold or a flu, it is time for me to share my Grandmother’s Chicken Soup recipe with you. My darling Grandmother, Josephine, is 93 years old and alive and kicking. I can’t help but think the weekly doses of chicken soup has something to do with it

Ingredients

4 big chicken legs (approx. 850 gr)

1.5 L of water

1 clove of garlic

1 white onion cut into four pieces

1 big carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped

2 celery stalks with leaves, coarsely chopped

2 sprigs of parsley

1 sprig of thyme

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. white pepper

¼ tsp. of mild curry powder

75 gr fine egg noodles

2 or 3 chicken stock cubes

Preparation

Put the chicken legs in your stockpot and add 1.5 L of water. Add the garlic, carrot, celery, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and curry powder.

Bring to a boil and, once boiling, reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for approximately 2 hours or until the water is yellow and the meat is tender. The meat should almost be falling off the bones.

Turn off the heat and let the soup cool down. Drain the vegetables and chicken from the soup. Now it is time to refrigerate the stock preferable for one night. A layer of fat will rise and harden at the top of the stock. Now you can easily skim the fat of with a spoon.

If you don’t have the time to leave the soup for the night you could pour it into containers and leave them in the freezer for an hour to hasten this process.

Boil the soup again, once skimmed, and add the chicken stock cubes. Once the cubes have dissolved add the pieces of deboned chicken and fine egg noodles. Before serving you can garnish your soup with some chopped parsley leaves.

Bon Appetite

I'll suggest Tortilla Soup. Now, I'm only giving the recipe in the most general way. Tortilla soup becomes kind of a personal expression. Everyone's is different, but I will say that Anglos tend to using tomato and concocting a reddish soup, kind of a weak junior chili. That's contrary to most traditional tortilla soups, and the one I'll outline is perfect for exercising a variety of additional toppings.

Tortilla soup is, of course, chicken soup with tortilla pieces. Just like Sopa de Lima in Yucatan is pretty much chicken soup with limes. The Mexican edge comes from subtle use of spices.

Run garlic, cilantro, onion, and a small can of green chilis (hot or mild, your choice) through the food processor to a puree. This will flavor the soup and thicken it slightly, without detracting from the simplicity.

Cut boneless chicken into pieces. You can make them small pieces, or you can leave them in big chunks, like the slab of meat you pull off a bone-in breast. Cook the chicken until done but not browned.

Add the puree and some ground cumin to as much chicken stock as you need to have soup. Simmer this for a while, maybe an hour, to deepen the flavor.

While that's cooking, prepare the tortilla strips. Just cut corn (not flour) tortillas into strips (width is your choice) and fry them until crisp.

Shred some jack cheese or cheese of your choice.

Prep your choice of toppings. You might just serve the soup with rice. Or with a glop of sour cream and sprinkled with chives. Or avocado slices. Or salsa. I like to add chopped fresh jalapenos. Try come lime juice in it.

Add the chicken to the simmering stock for a few minutes and serve with topping options or topped yourself.

Note that there's no chili powder or paprika. It's not a thick or heavily seasoned soup. And no tomatoes. Play around with it to make it yours. Blog about the evolution.

Soup starts with a good stock. I tend to make soup like my grandma did--whatever is on hand, toss that in, simmer, add some of this or that. I rarely follow a recipe when making soup. I have to admit one of my favorite soups that she would make was sauerkraut (homemade), home-canned tomatoes, and meat balls in a beef stock (made from bones). I have been craving this soup lately....

I have to laugh. I often think ... soup ... recipe? Recipe for soup? Is there such a thing? Rarely do I make soup from a recipe, I just use whatever is at hand, peasant food, so to speak.

Yeah, my real name is Claire. I think there is room for two claires in DC!

I did pea soup, my recipe such as it is, on another line.

One you might consider is grilling over charcoal, many different vegetables. Onions, for sure, leeks, squash of various kinds, both summer and winter, eggplant. Toss them in olive oil seasoned with some garlic kind of seasoning mix. Grill until browned. Then chop (I usually slice in half vertically before grilling). Then stick in a stock pot and cover with water. After stewing for awhile, you will have a great base for vegetarian soups of all kinds.

From one Claire to another --

I have to laugh. I often think ... soup ... recipe? Recipe for soup? Is there such a thing? Rarely do I make soup from a recipe, I just use whatever is at hand, peasant food, so to speak.

Yeah, my real name is Claire. I think there is room for two claires in DC!

I did pea soup, my recipe such as it is, on another line.

One you might consider is grilling over charcoal, many different vegetables. Onions, for sure, leeks, squash of various kinds, both summer and winter, eggplant. Toss them in olive oil seasoned with some garlic kind of seasoning mix. Grill until browned. Then chop (I usually slice in half vertically before grilling). Then stick in a stock pot and cover with water. After stewing for awhile, you will have a great base for vegetarian soups of all kinds.

From one Claire to another --
I'm with you there, Claire. Soup is not something for which I need a recipe--it is done by "taste and by jolly" and what is left in the freezer and crisper.:chef:

Creamy tomato basil soup

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 lb tomatoes peeled, cored, and quartered,
1 28 oz diced tomatoes, or equivalent fresh diced tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh, chopped basil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 quart chicken stock
16 oz heavy cream
Basil sprigs for garnish (optional)

Sauté onion with olive oil until tender, add quartered tomatoes, chicken stock, basil, salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes. Transfer to blender, or use immersion blender until smooth. Add diced tomatoes, and heavy cream, return to boil, garnish with sprig of basil

Well Claire, I think we have more in common than our name;)! Before I started my website I could not even tell you how I made my soups besides ' a little bit of this, a little bit of that, a bit more of this and if you have that sure use that as well:LOL:!'

Then I figured that for people who aren't very comfortable with cooking new recipes, a more detailed recipe will make them try something new which will then give them the confidence to try something else again!

But it sure feels great being surrounded by all :chef:!

Thank you so much for you recipes:Claire, Skittle68, CWS3422, CharlieD, GLC:)! I am happy to try all the recipes and write about them on my website in the new year which I know now will be :yum:. If you like me to name it after you then please send me your name, where your from, whether you like to make this soup on a certain occasion. I'm happy to post a picture of you as well next to the picture of the soup.

Take care and have a great day:)

Skittle68 said:
Creamy tomato basil soup

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 lb tomatoes peeled, cored, and quartered,
1 28 oz diced tomatoes, or equivalent fresh diced tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh, chopped basil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 quart chicken stock
16 oz heavy cream
Basil sprigs for garnish (optional)

Sauté onion with olive oil until tender, add quartered tomatoes, chicken stock, basil, salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes. Transfer to blender, or use immersion blender until smooth. Add diced tomatoes, and heavy cream, return to boil, garnish with sprig of basil

Mine is just a recipe I found online, then tweaked to make it more like the soup a local restaurant serves. I started making it because my boyfriend loves tomato basil, but I realized I love this soup too! It is certainly not you store brand variety tomato soup.

Steak Soup

Hi,

My name is Claire and I recently moved from Amsterdam to London with my husband and 3 children. Last month I started a blog about soup; 52 recipes in 52 weeks.

Ever since I can remember soup has been such an important dish in my family that I simple love it and can't live without:yum:!
So I figured why not share my recipes, my mum's, grandmother but also from you if you have a favorite soup recipe.

If you would like to share your soup recipe with me and don't mind posting it to share with all soup lovers out there than please send me a post.

Well this is a great idea ilovesoup, so here is my recipe for Steak soup, hope you like it and use it:
1st let me share the steak rub recipe, it is: 1 tablespoons thyme, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoons parsley flakes 1/4 tablespoon paprika, 1/4 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper and 1/2 tablespoon salt, grind all together in a coffee grinder or just mix it all together and shake before using.

Here is the steak soup recipe:
Tim’s Steak Soup:
2 Can's beef broth
2 New York Steak's chopped Into cubes

Flour
Half bag California Blend vegetables (Carrots, Broccoli and Cauliflower)
1 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, rinsed well and drained.

1 can cut green beans, drained
I medium potato cubed
Tim’s Steak Rub (See recipe above)
1 Large clove garlic, minced
*Note, the broth was a bit green from the spinach so next time I am going to rinse and drain the spinach first.

Season 1/4 cup flour with 1 tablespoon steak rub and dredge steak in flour mixture. Sear in a skillet over high heat just to brown the outside of the steak pieces.
Put beef broth and steak pieces in large pot and add all the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Add as much of the steak rub as you like, I put in about a teaspoon or so.
This soup is SO good, hope you like it. :chef:

As I wrote yesterday I was making carrot soup. The freezer was featuring turkey stock, the fridge was featuring carrots that were on their last legs and the carcass of a chicken. Made chicken stock, added turkey (this is why recipes don't work -- both the chicken and turkey stock were made with lots of onion, garlic, herbs). Threw in the bag of carrots (it was a large bag of the trimmed "baby" carrots). The pantry revealed a bottle of sherry.

Most soups are vastly improved by a dash of dry sherry!

Pureed using my immersion blender (a soup/sauce maker's best friend). I now have a good dinner/lunch for us, and some leftover for a shut-in friend who has no teeth.

Hi,

Are you willing to share the link to your blog?

I have a really unique soup question which seems like it might find a perfect answer from all you soup experts! I am a hindu, so I do not eat beef. But I only started following this practice from when I was in high school, before which I used to eat some beef. I didn't really enjoy most beef products much so giving it up was not too difficult. The one food though I really miss though is french onion soup. I understand it is impossible to truly replicate the soup without using beef stock, but does anyone have good tips or options to make a similarly hearty non-beef version?

I'm sure the purists will be in here screaming that there's no substitute for beef broth shortly. :chef: But I'm a firm believer in using what you like!

The first thing I thought of was using some red wine (or sherry?) and a roasted vegetable & mushroom broth. If you're not adverse to chicken, maybe you could start with chicken stock and build up flavor from there?

I have a really unique soup question which seems like it might find a perfect answer from all you soup experts! I am a hindu, so I do not eat beef. But I only started following this practice from when I was in high school, before which I used to eat some beef. I didn't really enjoy most beef products much so giving it up was not too difficult. The one food though I really miss though is french onion soup. I understand it is impossible to truly replicate the soup without using beef stock, but does anyone have good tips or options to make a similarly hearty non-beef version?

How about lamb stock? You'd probably have to make your own. If you ant to enjoy onion soup, make it with chicken or veggie broth. It won't be exactly the same but it will be good.

Back
Top Bottom