"Stone Soup"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
You remember the story. How often do you make it and what combo of ingedients became a family recipe? It could also be a stew. The green chili stew I make started out this way.

Many of my soups start out as Stone Soup. Nothing that has ever been repeated.

Planned soups, I shop for.

Many of my soups start out as Stone Soup. Nothing that has ever been repeated.

Planned soups, I shop for.

Nothing ever hit you with "Wow, got to make this again!". Getting you to shop for those ingredients?

Nothing ever hit you with "Wow, got to make this again!". Getting you to shop for those ingredients?

The "Got to make that again" occurs after and I've just been adding "stuff" not keeping track. "Stone Soup" or "Dishrag Soup" is always an improv and almost always, really good...but I don't write things down.

It is also called St. Bernard's soup and in french La soupe au caillou!

At my house it is always the same and always different, sort of an American minestrone!

From now until spring I make it once a week to clean my refrigerator and starve my garbage pail! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

we have a shelf on the refrigerator door which we have called " the rotten shelf" where halves of onions, pepper tops, shriveled up mushrooms accumulate. Some of my best soups are created just by taking whatever accumulates there and making a soup out of it. I never think to write anything down, because my initial expectations aren't so good. No " stones" are involved, but a list of unpredictable, and sometimes , undesirable ingredients are included. At the very least, it turns out to be a vegetable stock which ill freeze for later use.

For me it is my chicken noodle soup. I posted one rendition of it here with an Asian flair but it quite honestly never turns out the same way. I just through in what I have at the time.

i'd heard of stone soup before but never knew what it meant. my boy did one of his summer reading book reports on "stone soup" this past summer, and being a little chef in the making, he really enjoyed the book.

my best stone soups have come from the untouched "leftovers" from the catering tables at work during football season, the ncaa basketball tourney, election coverage, or other sporting or news events.

what i mean is that so much food is put out for the crews that often there are entire trays of food that go untouched, and because of serv-safe rules are destined to be thrown out at the end of the night. the trays of hot food or sandwiches/wraps have been out so long that by the time that i get in at 11pm, you are risking getting sick if you dare dig in. but i love to score big bowls of undressed, mixed salads, trays of whole fresh fruit, or trays of crudite (fresh veggies for dipping), and bring them home with me in the morning.

after a day or two at home, whatever we don't eat - except wilting lettuces- ends up in our version of stone soup.

carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomaoes, radishes, bell peppers, mushrooms, and even olives go into th crock pot with some chicken or beef stock, along with whatever proteins we have leftover from our own home cooked meals. i've used leftover ham on a bone, grilled chicken parts, fish, and even burgers in the soup along with the veggies from work.

waste not, want not. and bring a spoon

Last edited:
We call it "refrigerator soup" here. I think I spoke about it in another thread awhile back. My dad always made it on Saturdays with whatever leftovers were in the fridge. It almost always contained spaghetti (my mother made it with elbow macaroni) and green beans, corn and tomatoes. It was kind of a goulash soup. ;)

We call it "refrigerator soup" here. I think I spoke about it in another thread awhile back. My dad always made it on Saturdays with whatever leftovers were in the fridge. It almost always contained spaghetti (my mother made it with elbow macaroni) and green beans, corn and tomatoes. It was kind of a goulash soup. ;)
That's a great way to get rid of leftovers. I should start that as a tradition. :) :yum:

My soups are always a surprise to me, never to be replicated, and I too store bits and pieces of veggies in the freezer.

We make garbage soup here. All of the little bits of leftover meats, veggies,etc. are layered in a freezer box until it is full, then it is the beginning of a fantastic soup.

We make garbage soup here. All of the little bits of leftover meats, veggies,etc. are layered in a freezer box until it is full, then it is the beginning of a fantastic soup.

Great idea but couldn't you find a more appetizing name??? Mystery soup, melange potage...

Kids here also make Stone Soup, after reading the book in school. It's quite the event! I remember the book being read on Captain Kangaroo when I was a kid.

Janet H said:
Great idea but couldn't you find a more appetizing name??? Mystery soup, melange potage...

The kids named it. It just kinda stuck. It actually works well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom