Strange Method for Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I've been craving a good pot of vegetable soup (at my house, that includes meat), but this cold weather is hard on the old body, and I really couldn't do it all in one hitch.
So I did it a little at a time. What I turned up with is a rich, wonderful, venison stew/soup.

Last night I thawed a bag of what was labled "Venison Tenders"...just sweet little pieces that were left after we cut up loins and hams.
I put them in the crock pot on low, with a packet of onion soup mix and a can of tomato soup, plus water called for. Once it got cooking a little, I added a handful of baby carrots.
I then chopped a small onion and some hearts of celery...about 1 cup each, and put in fridge for later.
After brunch and my nap, I put some scrubbed baby Yukon Gold potatoes in a bowl, pierced, covered with a plastic dome, and baked a couple of minutes. (They weren't done then, but after they sat covered for a while, they were perfect.
I then added a can of whole tomates (which I cut up in the can to break them up) and their juice + a can of water, and added about 2 tbls of pearl barley.
I put 2 tbls bacon grease over chopped celery and onions in bowl with a splash of water, and nuked for 3 minutes, until just starting to get soft.
I dumped those in the crock pot, and let that simmer about an hour.
Then I cut the potatoes up a little, and added them with a can of drained Roma (Italian Flat) green beans, which hold up really well in soups. Also added a tsp minced garlic for a jar.

We have tasted it, and it may need a pinch of S&P, and I'm going to put a bit of fresh Italian parsley on the top, but it's wonderful

Just goes to show'ya...where there's a will there's a way.

Last edited:
Sounds really tasty Constance, I have made a venison soup about the saame way. Miss our venison this year tho. Hubby didn't see any antlers this year so we are doing without venison, first time in 12 years. We love venison soups and chili.

The soup sounds delicious. A friend of mine makes what she calls "Freeezer Soup". She keeps a rather large container in her freezer. When she has a veggie or meat leftover that will fit into her soup she pours it in to the container. When she gets as much as she wants, she adds fresh, frozen or canned whatever she needs to finish. Sometimes she cooks a small chuck roast, or if she has enough leftover roast, steak, etc, she doesn't add any other meat. Her soups turn out great - only thing - there is NO recipe.

It was so good...We served it with a crispy whole wheat baguette, to soak up the juice. We're having it again tonight, and I'll bet it will be even tastier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom