The Latest in Gazpachos & Cold Soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Enjoying to know your views and takes on Gazpachos ... ( cold soups ).

With the warmer weather creeping in slowly, and all the luscious green vegetables and an array of rainbow colored fruits starting to appear at the farmer´s markets and fruterías ( fruit specialty shops ), Gazpachos, cold blended soups are the perfect starter or appetiser for these warmer days, and they are chockful with vits and no fat and no calories ...

Here is a lovely Andalusian White Gazpacho with White Grapes ...

6 ounces of country style crusty bread, soaked in water and squeezed dry
1 tblsp Sherry Vinegar from Jeréz
5 0z. blanced almonds
3 cloves of chopped garlic
5 0z. white grapes ( yes, de-pit )
4 oz. The best Olive Oil E.V. you can afford
4 cups ice water
*** sugar optional

1. place bread in dish and sprinkle with the sherry vinegar
2. let stand 2 minutes
3. grind almonds in Food Processor with garlic and drizzle with E.V. olive oil
4. add 1/2 the bread and 1/2 the ice water and process until creamy
5. press this concoction through a nylon sieve and add remaining water
6. chill thoroughly
7. In either Martini or large Wine glass stemware, add the grapes to each glass and pour in the cold Gazpacho. Garnish with more grapes ...

I have made this with other fruit as well, however, this is the historical recipe from Granada and Málaga ...

Enjoy and look forward to hearing from all of you once again.
Grazie.
Margi. Cintrano

GB,

Thanks. Let me know the outcome. If you wish, I can provide you with a traditional tomato one as well ...

We are off to Puglia, Italia tomorrow early morning for a week and 3 days. The Adriatic Sea is calling us ! Excessively dry interior Madrid, though great city to have a good time, and artistically --- it is polluted beyond belief. So, we cannot wait to arrive in Bari.
Happy Holidays.
Margi.

Sounds great! My wife & I made this yellow gazpacho last summer. Not sure where we got the recipe from...but it was delicious.

2 1/2 cups yellow tomatoes
1 cup seedless yellow watermelon
1 yellow bell pepper
1 Kerby cucumber
2 tbsp chopped shallot
1 clove garlic
1 kiwi (peel & chop - add half to the gazpacho, use the other for sprinkling)
1 1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
salt & pepper

Puree. drizzle 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil while pureeing. Serve with feta cheese, other 1/2 of kiwi & fresh cilantro.

I am not big on cold soups. Russians make few different ones, the only ones i like are more Ukranian, cold borscht both red and green.

And borscht is the one cold soup I do not like Charlie :LOL: although I will give it another try next time I have the opportunity as I do not think I am as opposed to beets as I was when I was younger.

Traditional Spanish Tomato Gazpacho

As per request, here is the traditional recipe ... The Moorish provided the fundamentals of Gazpacho, and the Andalusians embellished on it with the products of of New World.

Serves 4 to 6 :

1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped ( can use gold instead )
1 medium onion chopped
1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 cucumber peeled, chopped and seeded
3 large ripe, juicy red tomatoes
6 toasted blanched almonds
1 large slice of day old bread soaked in water and than squeezed dry
1 tsp. salt
4 fl. oz. E.V. olive oil
6 cups ice water
3 tblsps. Sherry vinegar
parsley and mint herb = 1 tbslp.

Place all the vegetables plus 8 fl.oz. of water in the Food Processor or a blender and process until smooth.

Strain through a nylon sieve in a large bowl.

Process the almonds, bread and salt and half the herbs to a paste and add the oil.

Add some ice water and then strain into the puréed veggies and add the vinegar and remaining water. Chill thoroughly.

Thanks, and hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.
Happy Holidays.
Margi.

Reactions: GB
Charlie,
Good afternoon.

I like magenta red violet beetroot and stuff it with feta and mint or ricotta or cottage cheese ( recipe in ethnic section ) ...

I had lovely red violet magenta borscht in the Russian Tea Room in NYC many decades ago while studying journalism there...

Tomato gazpacho is lovely, sort of a more flavourful Tomato juice with a drizzle of lemon ...

Can add a shot of vodka too !

Happy holidays.
Margi.

Red, white, green or yellow - Gazpacho is all good.

I turn the red into a gazpacho salad, and top with shrimp, diced avocado and croutons.

We like cold soups during the Summer - melon (cantaloupe, honeydew), cucumber etc - topped with sour cream or creme fraiche & dill.

Chef Robert Irvine made Gazpacho shooters. Cut cucumbers in about 2" lengths, hollow out the inside, & fill with gazpacho. Nice for a party.

Last edited:
Cerise,

Me too ... savoury and / or semi sweet ... One of the loveliest I had, was in Plasencia, Extremadura, Spain ( 3 hrs. south west of Madrid ) in the Hotel Parador Network Hotel, which is government owned ( 1928 ) and the government restores ancient castles, monasteries and palaces for hotel accomodation. I handle media relations with my magazine and had done a write up on this particular one, they have 93. The Plasencia Monastery´s Chef Luis Mora created a seasonal black cherry gazpacho to die for. I have never forgotten it and it is now Cherry season ...

Tropical fruit and Green Melon are stunners too ... Refreshing ! and cooling ...

Happy Holidays.
Margi.

@ GB,

We have an 8am flight from Madrid to Bari, Italy ... I have my Italy notebook in my bag and shall post over wkend. Be patient. It is on list of must do´s for D.C.
Have nice wkend.
Margi.

GB,

We are meeting my younger daugher and her hubby and the 5 year old twin boys and my newest grandson, 4 months now ... We have a small condo in Gargano Peninsula on Adriatic Sea and are both very excited ... We need a spring break. We shall be returning on the Monday after Easter Sunday.

Thanks for ur message.

M.C.

Have a wonderful time, Margi!!!

The cherry sounds fabulous! At a dinner party or restauant (can't recall), we had a room temperature or chilled tomato vodka soup, topped with scallops, crab or shrimp. Probably easy to make up one's own concoction at home.

Here's the idea for the Gazpacho (shrimp) Salad with Red-Pepper Tomato dressing.

BHG's Newest Recipes:Gazpacho Shrimp Salad Recipe

Last edited:
@ Cerise,

I am a big fan of gazpacho too ...

I like the honey dew idea ... love honeydew ...

Very refreshing surely.

Shall try it out ... Thanks.

Have nice wkend and lovely Holiday.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom