'Tis the season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I add whole peppers to some of my soups and stews, with slits cut in them. At the end of the cook, I remove them as you would a bay leaf.

The seeds are not the main source of heat in a pepper, it is the placenta that connects the seeds to the pepper. Using the whole pepper the way I mentioned allows you to add the heat as you want it, and stop adding it when you think it is right. Plus, no seeds in your soup or stew.

CD

I almost always toss 3 whole dried thai chili peppers in my soup while simmering. If one opens, fine, 2, it's rosy, and I've never had all 3 open.

So we’ve been making an extra effort to get out to the grandparents this year with jars full of soups as often as possible. Trying to give a little back and visiting more after losing a grandma and a grandpa since this fall.
We all like that cozy bowl of soup and often have a pot on but how do you guys share the wealth with family and friends? Easy homemade soup and it’s been going over as a solid hit every visit, not enough to bury them just a meal or 2.

Open refrigerator, throw everything you can find in a pot, Bam you have soup in the end.

I do that sometimes as well. It's amazing the soups you can come up with using leftovers and whatever fresh vegetables you have on hand. I add herbs and spices and sometimes even dump in canned vegetables and/or a can of beans.

A friend of mine gave me a recipe for Cream of Leek Soup that I still have yet to try. Leeks are a newfound love of mine.

Neither Pirate nor I have big appetites. So leftover roasted beef into a stew the it will go. A few taters along with the regular carrots, celery, etc. We did clean up with twice baked potatoes and peas. Just a lot of beef left over. So into the soup pot, bones and all it will go.

I do that sometimes as well. It's amazing the soups you can come up with using leftovers and whatever fresh vegetables you have on hand. I add herbs and spices and sometimes even dump in canned vegetables and/or a can of beans.

A friend of mine gave me a recipe for Cream of Leek Soup that I still have yet to try. Leeks are a newfound love of mine.

Same here, Linda. I always have several kinds of canned beans, and canned chicken and beef broth to use with whatever fresh veggies and leftover meats that need to be used. Some of the best soups I've made are from throw-togethers that I could never reproduce, as I don't have a recipe. :LOL::yum:

My favorite thing to can, when I was in the grips of my canning craze, was minestrone base. Add broth, stock, or water and cooked pasta and enjoy!

I haven’t done this in several years, though.

These are my favourites.
Corn chowder
Scottish lentil soup
Swedish peasoup
Chicken rice soup
Köttfärsoppa.

Corn chowder

I get my lunch meal delivered during the weekdays. I don't know who the chef is, but it has to be the ultimate corn chowder I have ever tasted. And Friday for this week, I am in luck. It is on the menu. Clam and corn chowder! My two favorite soups. YUM!

Same here, Linda. I always have several kinds of canned beans, and canned chicken and beef broth to use with whatever fresh veggies and leftover meats that need to be used. Some of the best soups I've made are from throw-togethers that I could never reproduce, as I don't have a recipe. :LOL::yum:

:LOL: Same here.

Some of my soups are so dang good that I say "No way could I ever make it that good again."

:LOL: Same here.

Some of my soups are so dang good that I say "No way could I ever make it that good again."

I discovered chicken and beef stock in a box years ago. When you are a working mother, you use all the shortcuts that the supermarket provides for you.

The flavor is more intense that just the broth. Now that I am retired, I still use store bought stock. The one broth or stock I do make myself is when we have any shellfish. Shrimp, lobster and crab. It makes for a great seafood soup or chowder. Added to a clam chowder, it really intensifies the sea flavor.

I discovered chicken and beef stock in a box years ago. When you are a working mother, you use all the shortcuts that the supermarket provides for you.

The flavor is more intense that just the broth. Now that I am retired, I still use store bought stock. The one broth or stock I do make myself is when we have any shellfish. Shrimp, lobster and crab. It makes for a great seafood soup or chowder. Added to a clam chowder, it really intensifies the sea flavor.
I quit stock in the box years ago and started using Better than Bouillon chicken and beef bases. Why buy flavored water and lug it home when I can just reconstitute the base? And I can make as much or as little as I want.

I also make my own chicken stock and keep it in the freezer. But sometimes the convenience of the base works better.

Every Sunday for lunch I have New England Clam Chowder (I only like one type and it's the Campbell's Homestyle) and I not only add an extra can of chopped clams, but I add clam stock to give it more flavor. I buy the Better Than Bouillon clam stock. I've never made my own seafood stock before.

Speaking of Better than Bouillon bases, I have several flavors I ordered from Amazon.

The ham base will be used with my New Year's soup of Black Eye Peas and greens.

The mushroom, and also the lobster bases are both wonderful too in addition to the beef and chicken.

Check out the choices..
https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/our-products/

I love the Better Than Bouillon stocks. I too order different flavors from online because other than chicken and beef, I can't find any of them in the stores. I use the clam base a lot and the ham base, as you mentioned, is also great in split pea soup, as well as lentil.

PS - thanks for the link. I just purchased more ham base and also the mushroom.

Last edited:
I am also a fan of Better Than Bouillon..

Good stuff and I can control the depth of flavor by adding or subtracting the amount used.. I can't do that with a box or can..

I don't just use it as a broth but, will put a dab in non broth dishes to add another layer of flavor..

Ross

I love the Better Than Bouillon stocks. I too order different flavors from online because other than chicken and beef, I can't find any of them in the stores. I use the clam base a lot and the ham base, as you mentioned, is also great in split pea soup, as well as lentil.

PS - thanks for the link. I just purchased more ham base and also the mushroom.

You're welcome Linda. Have you used the mushroom base before? If not, you'll find so many uses for it. :yum:

You're welcome Linda. Have you used the mushroom base before? If not, you'll find so many uses for it. :yum:

No I haven't and that's why I'm thankful you posted the link to Better Than Bouillon's different varieties. I adore mushrooms, as well as mushroom soup and mushrooms in or on pretty much anything. So I can't wait to try it. I would love to make a homemade cream of mushroom soup and I think, or at least I hope, this base will make it even yummier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom